Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen, Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hishaamsiddiqi

hishaamsiddiqi

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Recently, I got the Blue Sceen of death, the unmountable_boot_volume error. I then went out and purchased a new harddrive. I made the new hard drive (F:) the primary master drive and kept the old drive (C:) connected as the secondary drive. I booted up my computer and it went to the new drive, I installed Windows XP, and everything was working fine. Because of the new drive, it was like a brand new computer. Through My Computer, I could access the old drive (C:) and I began transferring my old files from C: to F: drive. All that was fine, just a few problems: I could not change the screen resolution over 640x480. The display properties slider just wouldn't move past that mark. Everything was really big. So I decided to restart the computer and F12 to the boot menu. I had the choices of
1. Normal
2. Primary Master Drive
2. Secondary Drive C:
3. Blah blah blah

I chose to boot to the secondary drive C: to see if the screen resolution was as bad over there too. This was a stupid idea and I later realized that had it even booted to that drive, I wouldn't be able to check the resolution because I would get the Blue Screen again. Anyways, I selected the C: drive and it started the Windows XP loading screen. After Windows XP loads, the screen is blank. So I restarted, went to F12 boot menu, and this time chose to go back to the Primary Master Drive, again, it went to the Windows XP loading screen, and then after loading, the screen goes blank again. I again restarted, went to the boot menu, and this time chose "Normal". I again got the same problem. The screen doesn't turn off, it's just a plain black blank screen. Nothing will get it to load any more. I even just start it normally with no boot menu, and the screen just blanks out and nothing comes after the Windows XP loading screen.

I know this isn't as much of a virus problem, but I'd appreciate any help you guys would have to offer.
Thank you very much!

-Hishaam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

If you have an XP CD you can access the Recovery Console and run FIXMBR
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hishaamsiddiqi

hishaamsiddiqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

Thanks. I'll go try it right now. Do you know what the problem is?

#4 hishaamsiddiqi

hishaamsiddiqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

When I go to the recovery console, it gives me two drives to choose from C: and D:, and when I type FIXMBR for each one, it says that it could damage the partitions and make it inaccesible. I'm trying not to lose any of my work. Do you know what else I could do?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

That's just the standard warning. You should be OK It will attempt to fix the Master Boot Record
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 hishaamsiddiqi

hishaamsiddiqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

Okay, should I do FIXMBR to the C: drive, the D: drive, or both?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:20 AM

You should "fixmbr" on the drive that contains the new installation of XP. Just in case, also run the "fixboot" command.

There are several different black screen errors, but basically they are as follows:
- corrupt MBR (fixmbr is the fix for this)
- corrupt boot sector (fixboot is the fix for this)
- corrupt file system (chkdsk /r is the fix for this)
- corrupt video drivers (in this case you should be able to boot into Safe Mode)

Also, since you're in the Recovery Console, run "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) to ensure that the boot drive file system isn't corrupted.

Trying to access a bad hard drive can lock your system up so bad that a reboot will be required. I'd suggest putting this thing in a USB drive caddy to keep it from hosing your system. You can get one here for about $30 US: http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr1.html (I use these at home and at work - the drawback is that they don't have an enclosure for permanent use).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users