Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D346bus.sys Boot Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Polishjo

Polishjo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hello All,

Unfortunately, I'm completely lost.

Earlier this morning, after turning off my 2nd PC for the evening, my 2nd computer wouldn't start. Well, that is to say it wouldn't boot. It's a few years old so I began some troubleshooting, (removing the graphics card, each stick of ram, disconnecting the drives, and even using a backup PSU to boot). But nothing worked.

Since the specs were similar to a Dell Dimension 8200 I had around, I figure I'll just use that. But that's where I ran into some issues.

After only connecting the HD, keyboard, & graphics card, I can't get my blasted thing to boot into Windows - even in safe mode. When it gets to the point where it loads the file d346bus.sys, it restarts. While I was able to find some things using just Google, I can't actually try any of the solutions I found. That is, my CD-Rom, while found in BIOS, won't load my WinXP CD. Each time, I get an error message stating that it's not a bootable device or whatever. Additionally, when I even tried using an old Win 98 startup disc to ensure the CD-Rom would be fine, I'm getting the same thing when trying to boot from that.

At this stage, I'm completely clueless and was curious to see if there's anything I can do?

Also, I did an image backup of my WinXP CD and even tried booting from that thinking the CD itself was a failure. I've tried about 4 CD or DVD roms and 2 floppy drives as well. And I've also tried just removing the HD and only having the rom connected. Still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

Hi Polishjo, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Is the CD-ROM the first item in the boot order?

I'm not sure I understand what you did with the parts from you other computer. Did you take the hdd from the other computer and install it in the one that you are trouble shooting?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Polishjo

Polishjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hello dc3 and thank you!

Sorry about that. I think I left that out. But yes, from the PC that didn't boot, I removed the HD and tried it in this "new" system, (the Dell Dimension).

As for the boot order, I went into Dell's BIOS and changed the default order to try all three different options, (HD, CD-Rom, and diskette). Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck with any of them. Also, on the Dell, it actually gives you an option to select what you want to boot without messing with the BIOS settings. I tried doing that too but nothing.

Also, and I didn't try this originally, but I just swapped the IDE ribbons in the Dell with the ones from the initial PC. That didn't seem to make a difference but I guess it was worth a shot. :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

You cannot simply swap out the hard drive with the OS on it. It doesn't quite work that way. Put it back the way it was and try turning it on. Do you hear a single post beep? Do the fans spin? Does the screen showing all the components being loaded show?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Polishjo

Polishjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

Hello,

Sorry for the ridiculous delay in responding. Not such a good week. :thumbsup:

Anyhow, in regards to what you were saying, I through the original configuration back together last night. When I powered it up, it simply turned on without actually beeping at all. I then tried a weaker but working PSU and only attached it to the Hard Drive, (no roms or anything like that). Unfortunately, it was the same result :flowers:

I noticed all the fans inside the case housing are spinning and everything, but it's almost like it's not sending a signal to the monitor or keyboard or anything like that.

Thanks and sorry again for the delay!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

How far do you make it when booting? What screens show and where does it stop at?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users