Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Norton Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 arkay

arkay

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

Because of a sudden increase in free time, I've been scanning my computer more often with the most recent version Norton AntiVirus.

During several of the few glances I give the Norton window as it scans, I notice some files that are obviously spyware, viruses and the like that Norton completely ignores.

I Googled some names to confirm my suspicions and I found that I was right. Many files, like StopingSpy, SpyFalcon, SpyDawn etc, are all programs that Norton doesn't do anything about. I tried scanning with Ad Aware and Spybot S&D, and still nothing happened.

I think a keylogger even came up at one point. I just wasn't able to catch the name.

So... Uh. Yeah. What my question basically is is whether Norton is worth it or not. Same goes for the other products, even if I'm not paying for them. And if it turns out that there are better programs for defending my computer, what are they?

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Edited by arkay, 22 March 2008 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

In my opinion, Norton is definitely not worth it.
It's a resource hog, and it just doesn't seem to get the job done anymore. If you want good paid protection, Kaspersky or NOD32 are both great. If you'd rather look into something free, then Avira Personal Edition, AVG, and Avast are all great free protection. Also, there are numerous antispyware products too. Spybot Search & Destroy and Super Antispyware are both great free products.

Hope this has been helpful. :thumbsup:
"When I was an Alien... Cultures weren't opinions." - Kurt Cobain

#3 arkay

arkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

Wow. Thanks. :D

Hmm... About that though, would paid programs necessarily give better protection than free programs? That doesn't seem to be the case with Norton anymore, but yeah. Just wondering.

#4 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:29 AM

It all really depends. No two security programs are equal. I think Kaspersky's scans are much deeper than the average program, but AVG seems to have the lightest resource impact (Except for when updating) I don't think that with free protection you'd run any more of a risk of being infected than with a paid protection.

#5 arkay

arkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

Ahh. Okay. Thanks. I'm assuming those programs all include real time protection. Yes?

#6 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

The only one that I've mentioned without real-time protection would be Super Antispyware.
The last time I checked, real-time protection was only available in the paid version.

#7 arkay

arkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

Alright. Thanks a lot. Haha. It really helped. :D

#8 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:45 AM

Not a problem. :thumbsup:

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:11 AM

If you ditch Norton, and it's a suite make sure you get another firewall.
One of my pet peeves is people focusing only on the av portion of suites, generally suggestions for other av's are mentioned, but the firewall component is ignored.

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

my comment on this

I have noticed on many other sites folks seem to beleive that if they pay for an antivirus program they will get better protection than if they have a free av program

sadly Norton seems to have developed a very dubious reputation as an effective antivirus program ; it is one that I too have 'been there and done that ' with trying

never again!!

Googled some names to confirm my suspicions and I found that I was right. Many files, like StopingSpy, SpyFalcon, SpyDawn etc, are all programs that Norton doesn't do anything about. I tried scanning with Ad Aware and Spybot S&D, and still nothing happened.
I think a keylogger even came up at one point. I just wasn't able to catch the name.

have you been able to confirm with any scans you have done with free programs ( such as asquared and superantispyware for starters) that you do NOT have any 'unwanted guests' on the computer?

or have you yet tried a free on- line scan from Trend?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users