Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 And Data Execution Prevention

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chyben1

Chyben1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron 531s, with Vista Basic Home, and Mcafee security. I have gone to the Dell website and Micosoft I can't seem to get anywhere there. I am having a problem with downloading files. In email (people I trust) or from the internet. When I go to download (save or run) the download starts goes to 99% done. Then I get a message that Inernet Explorer has stopped working and is restarting. Then I get a message that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) has closed IE7. Help topic is to change the settings which I have, still no help. I have aslo reset the Mcafee security settings, nothing. I have aslo reset internet security (under the security tab) settings to default. I also rest the Internet explorer settings (advanced tab). One more thing I just noticed is right now I try to open the tools which opens , but I can't open internet options. Hope this wasn't to long and drawn out. Any help will be great. Thanks Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

I've had nothing but problems with IE7 and Vista. Read some of my problems with red x's and IE7. Microsoft knows there is a problem but has done nothing to fix the problem.

With that said you might try something I did that seemed to correct my problems with IE7 and has bothered a lot of people. I would suggest going to help-typing in "turn off UAC" and following the directions. You can always turn it back on but that might just help you correct your problem for the short term. I have mine turned off and finally IE7 is behaving like it is supposed to.

One suggestion-As soon as you can, I would upgrade your Vista Basic to Vista Home Premium. Not much of a difference in cost but feature wise it is well worth it. Check to see if you have the minimum requirements to run Home Premium. You will be glad that you made the change. I have read that Wal Mart has made a deal with Microsoft (and I guess some of the computer manufacturers) not to sell Vista Basic in their stores.

Good luck and post back on how you are doing.

p.s. If it doesn't help, turn UAC back on.

Also, try to do a system restore back to when it was working properly. You didn't mention how long you have had the Dell but if it is under waranty I would call Dell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users