Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hardrive Lagging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CyberDoug

CyberDoug

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

Well i use a FREECOM 500GB external hardrive, which every time i hook up to my computer takes around 5 minutes to load when it was in USB 1.1, literally nothing can be opened or ran until the lag ceases. It's very annoying
So today i bought a USB 2.0 PCI card, installed perfectly and i have tested it on a 122MB USB Pen, which prooved that it worked.
When i had switched on the PC after adding the card, it installed the USB 2.0 as normal thorugh the new found hardware.
But now, when i plug in my FREECOM hardrive, 2 things will happen, either
- Lag like i've never seen before
- Or a failure of some sort

Also with the normal slow USB ports, the blue light which goes on when plugged in, only appears for a few seconds in the USB 2.0, before going off again, but yet the drive keeps spinning away, showing that it is still on.
Any advice/help?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

Did drivers come with the USB 2.0 card? If so, did you install those?

Re the USB drive itself...did you properly install all software which came with it?

What's the model number?

From what I see, the software package includes backup software. I don't know if that's automatic or not, but...if that's running when the drive is first connected, that could account for the delays.

<<Or a failure of some sort>>

You really need to be more specific and remember that we cannot see what you see. Details matter.

Louis

#3 CyberDoug

CyberDoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

Did drivers come with the USB 2.0 card? If so, did you install those?

Re the USB drive itself...did you properly install all software which came with it?

What's the model number?

From what I see, the software package includes backup software. I don't know if that's automatic or not, but...if that's running when the drive is first connected, that could account for the delays.

<<Or a failure of some sort>>

You really need to be more specific and remember that we cannot see what you see. Details matter.

Louis

Of course sorry :thumbsup:
The USB 2.0 was installed correctly, and my XP New Found Hardware installed it automatically. Of course, once the HDD was failing on me i decided to install the Driver manually, using the CD which had came with it. I'm not sure about the model number, but it's a FREECOM CLASSIC EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE 500GB. The only software/CD that came with that was the manual which was on a pdf.
I'm telling you as much as i can but there isn't anything obvious i can think of to state. The HDD directly states that it is USB 2.0.

Thanks for the reply.

- CD

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

This appears to be it, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freecom-Classic-50...k/dp/B000UVRA34

You tend to mention "failure" in connection with this drive...yet you don't elaborate on what you consider a "failure."

Exactly what happens...and when?

Have you installed anything on the drive?

Can you access the contents of the drive, if there is anything on it?

Does the drive properly display in My Computer?

If you think the drive is defective...be prepared to back that up before requesting an RMA from anyone.

Did you try connecting to a different USB port?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2008 - 07:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users