Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Users Help##

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CyberDoug

CyberDoug

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

Ok, a long time ago (Year +) i changed the SID number of my system because i was trying to break some copyright (i know stupid huh?).
Having no idea what it did i went along with it, anyway long story short, ever since then there has been irregularities in the system.
I've attached a few screenshots to help.
Posted Image
^ My Computer
Posted Image
^Documents & Settings
Posted Image
^Trying to open / delete / edit / move the folder.

As you can see there are now multiple users, but yet on the logon screen there are only 4 options as to which user you want to login as.
I know the files from my previous user still exist, becuase when i was running a virus scanner it scanned my old user and i recognised alot of the file names. There is around 16 / 17 GB of files which i cannot access or delete now.

Any help?
Is there a program that can force open files or something.
Because either i need to delete all the files, or get them off the corrupted user.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CyberDoug, 22 March 2008 - 09:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

You might try taking ownership of a file or folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 CyberDoug

CyberDoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:34 AM

Didn't work, there is no Security tab, and i am the admin.
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the suggestion anyway

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

Have you tried deleting it, in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Have you checked the folder's Properties?
Right click the folder, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to, Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it.

Have you tried renaming the file, then deleting it?
Name it anything you want, like trash, old, useless, ........ whatever.

If none of the above works, here are a couple of programs, you can try:
Unlocker
Eraser
Delete Doctor
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

Also, you'll have to boot into Safe Mode to access the security tab. This is the default behavior for XP Home - and you'd have to change a setting to get XPPro to do this - so Safe Mode is the easiest way.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 CyberDoug

CyberDoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

Have you tried deleting it, in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Have you checked the folder's Properties?
Right click the folder, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to, Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it.

Have you tried renaming the file, then deleting it?
Name it anything you want, like trash, old, useless, ........ whatever.

If none of the above works, here are a couple of programs, you can try:
Unlocker
Eraser
Delete Doctor

I haven't tried it in safe mode, so obviously i'll do that soon.
I've tried properties, only problem is that it set's itself back instantly, regardless of what i do.
I can't do ANYTHING with the folder at the moment :thumbsup:
Thanks for the help a few suggestions that i'll try out.

:flowers:

#7 daic

daic

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

Ive been working on doing a very clean install of my desktop system, and i was led by another to a program which is called ERASER, i bring this up because if you download this, when your right click on items it gives you the ability to do a more secure deletion of the file, instead of just a regular delete.

Dont know if this will help you out but worth a try if your stuck.

Heres the site for the program (Scroll towards the bottom of the page) http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Comput...e_harddrive.asp

Try what the other said first in safe mode, you might even want to consider a format and reinstall your OS, since you messed with the SID.

Hope that helped, even a little.

~Daic.

Edited by daic, 22 March 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [OS] Windows 10 Pro x64 | 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Pro x64
  • [Motherboard] Intel DZ87KLT-75K
  • [Power Supply] Zalman ZM850-HP Plus 850W
  • [HDD] Seagate Hybrid STCL2000400 2TB | 256 GB SSD
  • [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

Hi CyberDoug, Welcome to BC, sorry to hear about your trouble though.

If all you want to do is get rid of those suckers you can always try just shredding the little buggers with SpyBot Search & Destroy... that's worked for me a time or two in the past.

BUT... you might want to know EXACTLY what's in those folders before you get rid of them because shredding = tossing into the irretrievable depths of the inter-galactic bit bucket. :thumbsup:

Good Luck Boo.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#9 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

I am sure once you follow the instructions as posted with booting into safe mode and taking ownership of the file, you will be able to manipulate the directories or delete them as you please.

#10 CyberDoug

CyberDoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

I am sure once you follow the instructions as posted with booting into safe mode and taking ownership of the file, you will be able to manipulate the directories or delete them as you please.

Unfortunately Safe Mode didn't work out, nor have any other so far although i really appreciate the help i have been given.
Unlocking didn't do very much except remove some "locked handles", and i when i click remove the file nothing happens.
I'm going to download the ERASER program and see if that helps me.

Again thanks for helping with this guys :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

#11 Gravyola

Gravyola

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

All I Can Think Of Is Safe Mode. If That Works To No Avail, See If You Can Try A Few Other Ways, Until The Point Of Requiring A Windows Reload. Backup All Needed Data First Obv. :thumbsup:

#12 CyberDoug

CyberDoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

All I Can Think Of Is Safe Mode. If That Works To No Avail, See If You Can Try A Few Other Ways, Until The Point Of Requiring A Windows Reload. Backup All Needed Data First Obv. :thumbsup:

As i said earlier, i can't seem to do anything with it, even in Safe Mode.
Also i can't reinstall Windows because i don't have the disk.

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

Hi CyberDoug,

So... did you try shredding those little buggers with SpyBot Search & Destroy like I suggested earlier? Like I said that works for me. I also use "Pocket Kill Box" to get rid of stubborn files

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

What the heck, I'll add my two cents as well. Another option is to use Move on Boot to delete the file. It's very simple to use and is a free download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users