Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hello. I have Windows XP Home SP2. My wife and I are not Internet "browsers". We have never once been infected with spyware. My wife really enjoys playing video games on our PC, but they occasionally "stutter" on her. After reading a few articles, and doing some thinking, I came to the conclusion that we really don't need our SUPERAntiSpyware Professional Version program running all the time and using resources, however small they may be (every little bit helps). I canceled SAS's "load program at startup" option, and told my wife to manually start it on the rare occasion that she wishes to visit new web sites.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this one better. Can a shortcut icon be created that will start both Firefox and SAS at the same time? I'm not concerned about shutdown; if either of us happen to forget to exit SAS after an Internet session, well, no harm is done there.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hello,

As far as I know you can't create one shortcut for two applications. However, you may want to try creating a script that starts the two applications.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

Can a shortcut icon be created that will start both Firefox and SAS at the same time? I'm not concerned about shutdown; if either of us happen to forget to exit SAS after an Internet session, well, no harm is done there.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

An alternative would be to use Sandboxie. What I do is set the Sandboxie service to "Manual" so that it's
not running when the system starts. When you run the Control Program, it starts the service. It provides
a shortcut that launches the default browser "sandboxed". I use anti-spyware and anti-virus programs
to ocassionally scan my system but the trouble with relying on them for real-time protection is they
have to filter all the stuff coming into your PC or running on your PC and try to guess what's good
and what's bad. Sandboxie just doesn't let sandboxed programs or programs launched by sandboxed
programs write to your HD except inside the sandbox folder. Much simpler approach. No databases
of "good" and "bad" stuff to keep updating. When I'm done surfing, I close the browser, stop the control
program and stop the service. No resources being hogged. Plus the free version is actually usable. :thumbsup:

The page shows how it works. I've been using it for about 6 months now. Only bad thing is it doesn't
work on 64 bit Windows.

Sandboxie

Also another approach to launching multiple programs... a lot of people don't know it but the old
DosKey macro utility still works in XP and Vista. You create macro commands(what in other operating
systems they call an "alias") and one alias can launch multiple programs. You separate commands using
$T

For example if you wanted an alias to open 2 folders in explorer you could do
Doskey open2=start explorer c:\$Tstart explorer d:\

after than, when you type "open2" in that command prompt it will open those
2 folders. You can also launch using shortcuts. Just start the .lnk file that's
the shortcut for a program.

you can also create a text file with a bunch of macros and have it load up when you open
a command prompt.

Doskey /? shows the help info

Or if you don't want to roll your own you can get Slickrun freeware. It does the same
with a few more bells and whistles.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:19 AM

Thank you for the replies. For us, our computer abilities, and our schedules, it really kind of sounds like the answer is simply "no". Neither my wife nor I know anything about writing scripts or codes. I've heard of Sandboxie, and have even read a little bit about it, bet never went any farther than that. Perhaps I should make some time to look into it further.

Thank you again.

#5 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

here is a script that would work

open notepad and copy and paste this code
@echo off
start "C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe"
start "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
hit Ctrl-S
Find the place where you want to save this (try the desktop)
find where it says File Name and type in launch.bat
before hitting save go to where it says Save As Type: and click on the arrow. In the dropdown box select All Files
This press the Save button
ok now double click on that file and it will start both your anti spyware program and firefox

Edited by powerjuce, 23 March 2008 - 07:47 AM.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

You could probably do it with a simple batch file. Don't worry, it's not as hard as it sounds!

First, you're going to need to know where Firefox and SAS are installed. More than likely they're in "C:\Program Files". Take a look and make sure.

First, I'm going to show you what the dinished product should look like, then I'll tell you what information you need to change. Ok, here it is:

start /d"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\" firefox.exe
start /d"C:\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware\" SAS.exe

I don't have SAS so I don't know the name of the folder or the program file, so I guessed.

Okay, using the code above follow these steps to customize it for your computer:

1. Locate the folder in which Firefox and SAS are installed
2. Replace the folder location in the script for the actual locations found in step 1
3. Rename the EXE files as needed.
4. Save the file as "internet.bat" and put it on your desktop (or other convenient place)
5. Done!

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

here is a script that would work

open notepad and copy and paste this code

@echo off
 start "C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe"
 start "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
hit Ctrl-S
Find the place where you want to save this (try the desktop)
find where it says File Name and type in launch.bat
before hitting save go to where it says Save As Type: and click on the arrow. In the dropdown box select All Files
This press the Save button
ok now double click on that file and it will start both your anti spyware program and firefox

Ya beat me to it! But you forgot the /d

#8 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

sorry i forgot

Edited by powerjuce, 23 March 2008 - 08:10 AM.

#9 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

It works. Thank you very much, guys. Now all I want to do it replace that ugly gear in a PC screen icon with the Firefox icon. I've done icon changing before, so I think that I can remember how. Worth saying twice: Thank you!

#10 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

i dont think you can, it is a bat file and i dont think windows will let you change the icon.
But you could convert it into an exe file with an icon

hav fun :thumbsup: :inlove: :flowers: :trumpet:

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

I don't recall whether or not you can change the icon for the bat itself, but what you can do is make a shortcut to the bat file and change the shortcut's icon.

#12 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

Correct. It turned out that the easiest thing to do was make a shortcut, drag and drop the shortcut where I wanted it to be, and then change the icon for the shortcut to what I wanted. I'm good to go. Thank you again.

#13 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

I don't recall whether or not you can change the icon for the bat itself, but what you can do is make a shortcut to the bat file and change the shortcut's icon.

nice tip i like it, i never thought of that idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users