Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ebios32.sys Crashing Vista...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 asmithdesigns

asmithdesigns

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:12 AM

Hey all,

My system has been crashing about one or two times a day. Unfortunately, there is not one thing that I can do to recreate it. I went to the event viewer and sure enough, I see a definite pattern! Here is the error...

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\EBIOS32.SYS has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Event ID: 1060
Source: Application Popup

I've been trying to research EBIOS32.SYS and have had no luck! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:51 AM

What's the make and model of your system?
Is this 32 or 64 bit Vista?

Toshiba, for one, has an SMI driver that provides for a lower level of access to system functions. It's likely that this kind of driver is what you're having problems with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 asmithdesigns

asmithdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

I am running 64 bit. I built the machine myself, so it doesn't have a make and model. Here is what I have in it....

Memory (RAM): 4026 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Sound card: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT | NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel® 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
CD / DVD Drives: E: JLMS XJ-HD166S
Hard Disks: C: 69.2GB | D: 111.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 24.7GB | D: 99.8GB
Motherboard: Intel Corporation DG33TL

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

At a minimum, I'd install the drivers numbered 6 and 7 at this link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...ubmit=Go%21#DRV
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 asmithdesigns

asmithdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

Thanks much for the advice!! I had previously installed #6, but have not tried #7. So, we'll see how it goes... you might hear from me again in a few days =)

Hopefully not though! Thanks again!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:05 AM

#7 provides an interface between the board and the OS for temperature management - seems to fit pretty closely with the way that SMI works.

#7 asmithdesigns

asmithdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

Well, I hate to be back so soon :huh:

I installed the updates one at a time; restarting between both. I woke up this morning to find my PC has shortly after I went to bed.

Any other thoughts on this issue? I am guessing maybe it is a bug that Intel / Microsoft hasn't addressed yet. There seems to be a large lack of information about EBIOS32.SYS crashing systems.

#8 asmithdesigns

asmithdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

One last check to see if anyone has a solution for this or any ideas?

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

ebios32.sys. We need to find a 64 bit version of it.

When you say "crashing", do you mean a bluescreen? If you do, what is the error code? It should look something like

STOP: 0x0000007B

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:15 AM

Here, try installing this driver. Make sure you select 64bit from the list.

This might work, it might not. We'll see :huh:

Billy3

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 29 March 2008 - 11:15 AM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#11 asmithdesigns

asmithdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:21 AM

It is not giving me a BSOD or any errors. It also does not matter what I am doing at the time. The whole computer just locks up and either goes to a black screen, a screen with colors that is flickering, etc. The only thing I can do is a hard reset.

Also, thanks for the file download. I actually already have the newest version of that installed.

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:32 AM

Please download Autoruns, by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell your desktop.
Extract the program from the zip file.
Double click on Autoruns.exe in the extracted data.
Accept the agreement on first run.
Make sure "Everything" is selected, and look for Ebios32.sys. If its there, uncheck it, and reboot.
If it isn't, let me know back here.

Billy3
Posted Image

#13 asmithdesigns

asmithdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

I ran the utility and the file is not there. I made sure I was in the "Everything" tab and used the Find option to double check myself. Thanks for the tip! Any other thoughts ?

#14 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

@usasma
I dont know how to unload a driver without The Avenger. Could we just try to unload it?

@asmithdesigns
Go to this path C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
And see if you can copy the ebios32.sys to your desktop, and then delete it from system32.

If the driver is in use (likely) you will not be able to delete it.

See if that works.

Billy3
Posted Image

#15 asmithdesigns

asmithdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

It let me delete the file and copy it to my desktop. I guess we will just have to wait and see! Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users