Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time To Build A Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mindarus

Mindarus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:37 AM

I just finished putting together a new computer, but whenever I turn it on I get this high pitched noise, from what I can tell it's coming from around the CPU, but I'm not certain.

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Video card: Evga 8800 GT
PSU: FSP Fx600-GLN
CPU: Intel e6750
RAM: Corsair 8500C5 (2x1GB)
HD: Western Digital WD1600AAJS
CD Drive: Sony DRU-530A

I tried taking out some extra, but not essential PCI cards, reseated the video card, and reseated the RAM

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

EDIT: Nothing comes up on the monitor and the noise continues until I power off the computer

Edited by Mindarus, 22 March 2008 - 12:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:54 AM

The manual for the motherboard shows that on long beep indicates that the graphics card isn't inserted properly.

Do you have the power connected to the card?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Mindarus

Mindarus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

Thanks! That fixed that problem, but... now it freezes at "PCI Device listing...." (I only have my graphics card connected, but it lists 16 or so). The last one it lists it only has the last 2 columns, ACPI controller, IRQ 9.

It won't do anything from there, then after a minute or so it will power off. What's going on?

EDIT: I can get into the BIOS, but it will still power off. I can also change the boot device (I set it to CD and it started to boot), but, again, it powered off.

Edited by Mindarus, 22 March 2008 - 11:31 AM.

#4 Deemo Diablo

Deemo Diablo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:42 AM

If your computer powers it's self off that quickly you might want to make sure your heatsink is seated properly and the thermal paste is properly applied. You don't need much paste because all it does is fill in the microscopic grooves in both your processor casing and heatsink to ensure proper thermal dissipation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users