Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help...power Failure During Combofix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kittw1

Kittw1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:06 AM

HELP!!! I understood all the rules and was making very good progress on a Dell Dim 2400.. My crazy EMC (electric membership corp a.k.a. the power company) is doing some ridiculous work that requires intermittent power outages and what do you know??? When I was running combo, the freaking power went out after all stages were complete. When powering back up I receive an error of:

Invalid BOOT.INI file

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file

When I press any key at this point it restarts the computer again. I urgently need a solution/work around. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

If anyone can help me I would :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:34 AM

That power outage caused serious damage to your systems boot file. Without this file, your PC won't boot properly. It may have also had something to do with running Combofix. Combofix is a very powerful tool which should only be used under the supervision of an experienced person. You should never be using your PC if you know there is going to be power outages.

Can you access the command prompt?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command - easy fix for "Missing HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," and several other fatal startup errors.
How Do I Repair A Missing Or Corrupt HAL.DLL
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:04 AM

Hello Kittw1,

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/137107/all-steps-completed-up-to-hijack/ Because you have that log posted, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response by, let's say, April 6 add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users