Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor To Hot?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dtbraun

dtbraun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:52 PM

Ok, I just finished putting together my new PC With Gigabyte Motherboard and an OME Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Processor. Only Problem with the OME processor, It didn't come with the Retail Cooling fan/heatsink. I have a nice watercool system on the way, but I wanted to make sure everything I had worked before I could nolonger return it. So after complete installation, I plugged it in and powered it up, seemed good, everything lit up and was working, through about the RAM Check, and then I lost power and everthing shut down, I tried again only to have the unit shut off even sooner this time. I soon realized how hot the processor was getting and stopped everything. The reason I'm posting this call for help is just for your input, I want to know if the CPU overheating is most likely my only problem (not a short?) if the system will start and run for about 30 secs. and also, if I might have done any damage to the CPU or anything else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:07 PM

In my opinion you are fortunate in using Pentium, as it recovers from over heating.

Stick a Bloody Big Fan on it next time.

If you want an Engineers soltion, heat it up with a hair dryer and try to force the error, but dont try this with anything other than Pentium, as their recovery rate is excellant compared to pretty poor and almost Zero for Athlon.

Basic physics is Heat increases Resistence. Resistence increases Amperage.

Heat and Amperage = Bad News.

:thumbsup:

Edited by SaxonManFinland, 18 March 2005 - 05:08 PM.

#3 dtbraun

dtbraun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:15 PM

Hey Thanks For The Insight, and The little bit of comfort I can take in knowing I that Hopefully didn't fry my CPU already. Anyone Else who might know a quick fix for the weekend? I was considering putting a pentium III fan/heatsink on it for the weekend, we have one at work for only a few buks, I don't want to bother if it won't be able to keep up however.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:15 PM

Never run a microprocessor without a proper heatsink, heatsink compound, and fan. As experienced, they have to have a way to dissipate the heat or they will die a cruel death. Even though Pentium processors have thermal overtemp protection, you can still damage the chip.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:02 PM

Also, some motherboards dont like it if they dont detect a heatsink/fan plugged in, and they will automatically shut off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users