Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager Spikes Cpu To 100% When Opened

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

WIN XP SP2 IE6
My computer has been acting wacky in IE6

The CPU spikes to 100% when task manager is opened

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

What programs in the list are taking up a lot of CPU?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

Anytime you come across a suspicious file or one that you do not recognize, search the name using Google or the following links:
BC's File Database
BC's Startup Programs Database
File Research Center
ThreatExpert Malware Search
If no search results are found, you are given the option to "Submit a New Sample".

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

You can download and use Process Explorer or System Explorer to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
-- Then post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Martel

Martel

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

boopme
As best I can tell the biggest CPU user is

System Idle Process 55-94
there are no other high ones

There are a lot of high memory users

There was a process called wuauclt.exe but it disappeared.

=======

quietman7
I have downloaded Process Explorer and running file checks.
Will post back any findings.

There is a file I am unsure of C:\Windows\PrefetchWUAUCLT.EXE-399A8E72.pf
size is 2.0 KB (32,768 bytes)

Thanks Yall!

Edited by Martel, 22 March 2008 - 06:32 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

wuauclt.exe

This is the Windows Update client (Windows Update AutoUpdate Client by its full name), which connects to the Microsoft website to download and install the latest updates for the Windows operating system.
Don't terminate this process unless you don't want to install any updates, or you want to install them manually.

System Idle Process

Putting it simply ..When the system is idle (CPU doing nothing) the process would be 100%.
When the CPU has something to do it goes down. So a high System Idle Process when nothing is running is good.

The spike is sort of normal at start up ,but in a minute it should level off as the Startup programs install.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Martel

Martel

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

boopme

Thanks for the response, I feel like something was wrong , that's why I started this post.

I accidently clicked o.k. on a file download GLB108.TMP and I Googled the filename and all answers about the file came from one site. WWW.fileinfo.prevx.com

I visited that site and after that I noticed my IE6 quit opening until after several attempts.
IE6 also constantly displayed "this page cannot be displayed"
After hitting F5 multiple times it would open.

I have upgraded to IE7 and so far quit using IE at all.
For now I am using Mozilla.

Weird file is...C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\GLB108.TMP

Unsure site is ...http: //fileinfo.prevx.com/QQ3ce315208721-GLB1870577/GLB108.TMP.html ( I purposely broke up the link so nobody clicks it).

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

It appears that many viruses will appear in the task list with the process name 'wuauclt.exe'. and having found the other one ,GLB108.TMP.
I feel these are probably well hidden now and will require the HiJack team to get rid of it.

Prior to posting a HJT log, we ask that you please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide. If you have performed some of them already, then just continue with the next. If you can't perform a step, then skip it and continue with the next. The last step will include downloading and using the most current version of HijackThis. The first line of your log file should appear as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Please note that it is important that HijackThis be run and a log created while in normal mode. If you run it and create your log while in safe mode, you will be asked to redo it again properly. When you have completed those steps, start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Guide to post a new log.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:31 AM

You have a hijackthis log posted here.

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users