Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Is Wavy With Dark Colors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

I bought a new 20" Widescreen acer monitor a couple months ago. I love it but my only complaint is that when it displays dark colors, it's kind of wavy looking. I was thinking this might be the refresh rate being set too low, but when I go to change it my only choices are 59hz and 60hz. I even unchecked the box that says hide values not supported. I have the latest drivers for my video card, which is an ATI Radeon X1900GT. Here is a link to my monitor on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824009108 . Thank you for reading this, I really appreciate it!

Edited by Sterling14, 21 March 2008 - 04:45 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

I would suspect it's a video driver issue. Try rolling back the driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

LCD monitors are not affected by refresh rate settings. In fact, setting the value higher than 60hz can damage some monitors.

What type of cable does your monitor connect with, dvi or vga?

DVI looks like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DVI_Connector.jpg

VGA looks like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:VGA_Stecker.jpg

Im not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "wavy" Do you mean the image "waves" on the screen, i.e., that the wave is moving, or do you mean that the geometric accuracy is poor?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the replies! I realized the link I sent is to the wrong monitor. That model is an AL2016WBbd, while mine is a AL2016WBb. Mine has the same specs, but only has a VGA port and no DVI.

My monitor uses VGA, but to hook it up to my graphics card I have to use a VGA-DVI adapter.

By "wavy" I mean that on only dark colors like black, dark browns, and dark blues, you can see slow moving waves, going in a certain direction. The waves look exactly like waves in water. It's like the lcd fluid, or whatever is in it that produces the picture, is having a pebble thrown into it and the rippling out is what I see. The waves are not different colors then the color that section of the screen is suppose to be displaying. I tried taking a screen shot, but there were no waves, so its a monitor problem.

It only happens on dark colors. Right now since this website is mostly white with some blue, I don't see any waves at all.

This isn't a big problem, but it would just be nice to fix it.

I'll try rolling back my drivers too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

Do you have another VGA cable you can try? Try moving the VGA cable away from power cables, or other transmission wires, as this can degrade VGA's preformance. See if moving the cable around changes the bad effect. Most vga systems cannot take resolutions above SVGA (1280x1024). Therefore, your cables need to be unusually good for your monitor, which is 1680 x 1050.

If moving the cable helps, than we have found our problem :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the reply! I tried moving the cables around, but it didn't really help anything. I then started messing around with the different monitor settings, and I found one that makes these waves less noticeable. I think I'll just leave it how it is.

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

Alright. Good luck!

Billy3
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users