Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 retnavydoc

retnavydoc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

I am requesting opinions of the Zone Alarm Security Suite. I have a Compaq Desktop with a 2.9ghz Pentium 4. 1Mb of ram, 1 Gb HD and running Windows XP Service PAck 2.

I previously used McAfee Antivirus, Zonealarm Pro, Spybot S&D and Adaware without problems. My ISP has offered Norton Security Suite at no cost so I downloaded & began using it. Even with auto updates turned off, the Norton still launches Lucoms~1.exe and it call back proxy (its updater) appoximately hourly, which utilizes up to 99% of processor resourses. This is tolerable when surfing, but very annoying when gaming. Repeated calls to Norton & my ISP tech support haven't resolved the problem, so I need to replace this junk program.

Does the antivirus in the ZoneAlarm Security Suite perfrom as advertised or is there a better option available.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

Well Zone alarm performs well but I recommend COMODO Firewall Pro. With the 99% of CPU taken up by Norton, don't be surprised. Norton is one of the biggest resources hogs around. If you would like a combination freeware internet security programs, I recommend the following.

Anti-Virus: AVG Anti-Virus (Free Edition)
Anti-Spyware: Spyware Terminator along with SpywareBlaster as-well as SUPERAntiSpyware
Anti-Rootkit (Optional): AVG Anti-Rootkit
Firewall: COMODO Firewall PRO

They work fine together, they don't use up valuable system resources and they get the job done efficiently. I can tell you that SUPERAntiSpyware is a great program as it has found Trojans that my other scanners didn't find. (SUPERAntiSpyware is known for picking up malware that many popular scanners don't.)

Regards,
David.

#3 retnavydoc

retnavydoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thank you for your help. This Norton has got to go. I'm surprised they stay in business, if my experience is any indication of their products.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

Yes good question. Norton stay in business because people think that it will fully protect 100% because they are paying around $79. People are getting sucked in to the fact that it costs so much that they think it is the one to go with(Norton takes advantage of this). No, it isn't. First off, Norton is a massive resource hog and secondly no protection is 100% foolproof. I am not saying that Norton isn't good, it is still a tool for removing malware :thumbsup: .

Regards,
David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users