Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Scan For Wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

First of all, I'm a complete Linux newbie so please forgive the ignorance on some things.

iwlist scan reveals:

lo, eth0, and eth1 all do not support scanning and reports 'no such device' on eth1

When I do a iwconfig though it shows lo and eth0 as no wireless extensions. eth1 on the other hand it shows my wireless card:

IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:any/off Nickname:"COMPUTERNAME"
Mode: Ad-Hoc Cell:Invalid
RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off

Or at least I think that would be showing my wireless card...

Problem is I attempt to: ifconfig eth1 up and get SIOCSIFFLAGS: no such file or directory

If I iwlist eth1 scan it just tells me the device doesn't support scanning again.

Any push in the right direction is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

Try this link. It is what worked for me. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6...;highlight=gilf

#3 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

Unfortunately this old box of mine can't run Ubuntu.

Right now it's running OpenSuse 10.3.

I've tried using the live CD and installing Ubuntu to no avail. Thanks for the reply though! :D

#4 Foster Grant

Foster Grant

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

Unfortunately this old box of mine can't run Ubuntu.

Right now it's running OpenSuse 10.3.

I've tried using the live CD and installing Ubuntu to no avail. Thanks for the reply though! :D

Try Xubuntu. Uses the Xfce desktop environment instead of GNOME; XFCE uses the GTK toolkit but not the GNOME libraries. Canonical's dev team makes it look like Ubuntu but it takes up a lot less RAM.

It can be downloaded here.

Edited by Foster Grant, 25 March 2008 - 02:23 PM.

#5 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

What kind of wireless card do you have?

I'm thinking that your Linux distro might not have the right driver installed for the card. I've seen it before where it will tell you what kind of card you have but it doesn't work properly because there isn't a suitable driver.

You might want to check with your card manufacturer to see if they provide an updated Linux driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users