Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Reinstalling Xp Home On Inspiron 1000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HOWDOIDOTHAT

HOWDOIDOTHAT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

I AM TRYING TO RESTORE MY DAUGHTER'S DELL INSPIRON 1000 LAPTOP AFTER A HARD DRIVE FAILURE.

I HAVE REPEATEDLY BEEN ON DELL'S WEBSITE BUT I CAN NOT EVEN SEND THEM AN E-MAIL BECAUSE
THE LAPTOP IS OUT OF ORIGINAL WARRANTY.

THE PROBLEM BEGAN WITH THE MESSAGE ABOUT AN UNMOUNTABLE VOLUME. I REMOVED THE HARD DRIVE
AND CONNECTED IT TO 3 DIFFERENT WORKING ADAPTERS I HAVE THAT ALLOW ME TO ACCESS SMALL
LAPTOP HARD DRIVES AS USB DRIVES. NONE WAS ABLE TO GIVE ME ANY MORE THAN NOTICE THAT A USB
DRIVE WAS ATTACHED.

I USED MY ULTIMATE BOOT CD AND WAS ABLE TO TEST THE DRIVE IN THE DELL LAPTOP AND FOUND THAT
THERE WERE ERRORS ON THE DISK. I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO RECOVER ANY OF HER FILES.

I PURCHASED A NEW 40 GB SEAGATE DRIVE AND THEN WE STARTED THE SEARCH FOR AN ORIGINAL DELL
RESTORE CD. WE FOUND ALL THE PAPERWORK AND CDs THAT CAME WITH THE LAPTOP WHEN IT WAS NEW
BUT NOWHERE COULD WE FIND A RESTORE CD.

WE ALSO BOUGHT A NEW DELL DIMENSION 2400 WITH XP HOME AND LOOKED THROUGH THE ORIGINAL
PAPERS THAT CAME WITH IT AND FOUND 9 DELL CDs BUT NONE WAS A RESTORE DISK.

I WAS ABLE TO FIND A DELL REINSTALLATION CD FOR XP HOME EDITION FROM ANOTHER OF OUR NEW
DELL TOWER COMPUTERS WE BOUGHT. I WAS GOING TO USE THE LAPTOP COA FROM THE TAG ON THE
BOTTOM OF THE LAPTOP.

WHEN I TRY TO USE THIS CD TO RE-INSTALL XP HOME, I GET TO THE SCREEN WHERE IT SAYS
"STARTING WINDOWS" AND THE COMPUTER JUST DIES, A COMPLETE SHUTDOWN.

I HAVE TRIED THIS WITH THE BATTERY IN AND OUT, I HAVE REMOVED THE PCMCIA WIRELESS CARD
ALSO. I HAVE BEEN IN THE CMOS SETUP SEVERAL TIMES AND TRIED TO RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS
AS WELL AS A FEW OTHER CHANGES AND I STILL GET THE SAME TOTAL SHUTDOWN.

I CAN BOOT THE LAPTOP WITH A FLOPPY STARTUP DISK FOR WINDOWS ME AS WELL AS WITH THE
ULTIMATE BOOT CD I HAVE AND THE COMPUTER RUNS WITHOUT A SHUTDOWN. THE ONLY THING THAT
CAUSES THE TOTAL SHUTDOWN IS THE WINDOWS REINSTALL CD FROM ONE OF OUR DELL DIMENSION
TOWER COMPUTERS.

AT THIS TIME I FEEL THAT THERE ARE FILES SPECIFIC TO THE INSPIRON 1000 LAPTOP THAT I NEED IN
ORDER TO RE-INSTALL WINDOWS XP HOME. I CAN FIND NO WORKING METHOD TO CONTACT DELL
WITHOUT GIVING THEM MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER TO PURCHASE SOMETHING THEY WITHHELD FROM
OUR ORIGINAL PURCHASE.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON HOW I CAN RE-INSTALL MY LICENSED COPY OF XP HOME WITHOUT
THE ORIGINAL DISK THAT DELL KEPT?

THANK YOU FOR READING ABOUT MY PLIGHT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:15 AM

Some Dell CD's were "locked" to a specific code in the BIOS - if your system doesn't have it, the system won't load. I'm not familiar enough with this to know if this is the situation with yours or not. FWIW - the Dell restore disk is usually a different color from the other disks (which are blue) and it will say something about "Operating System" on it.

I'd suggest obtaining another Windows XP CD of any type (not a Dell) - then trying to start the installation on your Dell. If it starts, then you've most likely got the Dell BIOS lock thing. If that's the case, then you'll have to find a copy of XP that matches the certificate on the bottom of the laptop (version of XP, service pack level, and OEM status).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:42 AM

I CAN FIND NO WORKING METHOD TO CONTACT DELL
WITHOUT GIVING THEM MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER TO PURCHASE SOMETHING THEY WITHHELD FROM
OUR ORIGINAL PURCHASE

the reinstall was probably on the hard drive, disks often come extra, extra charges and all

you can get the drivers off the web if needed

well even if you had purchased the 3 year extended warranty that would probably have run out by now

I believe a generic oem xp home w/sp2 would be your best bet

:thumbsup:

there ought to be a law, or at least a multimillion dollar class action law suit
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:30 AM

I reloaded a Dell last month where it wouldn't reload from a bad recovery partition. I emailed Dell and got a CD in a week at no charge
Try this number
1-866-955-2251
Have your express service code and service tag numbers handy. They should be on the back or the bottom
It was just the OS only, still had to download drivers off the website
There's a link on this page if you want to email a request
Dell Support

Edited by garmanma, 22 March 2008 - 08:34 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

I saw this site mentioned at another forum a long time ago. It might cost a bit more than getting it from the manufacturer directly, but if somebody is desperate (especially if it's an older model and restore disks aren't in stock anymore), this might be the only way. I do remember the person who posted about it was very happy with their service.

http://www.restoredisks.com/index.asp

Edited by mommabear, 22 March 2008 - 06:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users