Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Avg 7.5 Free (re: 8.0 Ads, Etc.)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

With the new paid version of AVG (Version 8.0), I'm sure any users of 7.5 Free have noticed the banner-type ads in the control panel(s) when you open AVG 7.5 Free now. That's not *that* big a deal, but what I'm more concerned about is that for the last two days, the first time I check for updates on each day, it causes Firefox to automatically open up and go to an ad page at Grisoft about 8.0.

Is there any way to avoid this -- or is it going to do this every day for now on since they want people to get the paid 8.0 version?

(I love AVG 7.5 Free, I just don't like the idea of a program automatically opening up my web browser and going to a web page without my say-so...)

Any thoughts/help is appreciated -- thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hello bloomcounty

Which AVG 7.5 are you referring to: the AntiVirus program or the AntiSpyware program?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

This message (nag screen) is Campaign Grisoft, and it originates from AVG Technologies.

According to the AVG Free Forum, "this pop-up is probably part of an AVG Technologies sales improvement campaign & should cease after a while.
From the AVG Technologies viewpoint, as a free user, you must accept that in the end of the day they are in business to make a profit & therefore will always be encouraging some of the over 70 million AVG users to upgrade to the paid for version."
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

Orange Blossom -- AVG A/V Free 7.5. It looks like the banner (and whatever triggers the web page opening up) was downloaded as part of a recent update.

TMacK -- That's the one. And what they say makes total sense, I just don't like the idea of a program actually opening up my web browser (Firefox) and connecting to a webisite without my knowledge and/or okay, etc. Know what I mean? Hopefully that part of it will stop soon.

Anybody know if they're going to continue with updates for the Free 7.5 A/V (and Anti-spyware, which doesn't have the ads or nag screen yet)? Here's hoping...

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users