Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Install Any Antivirus, Is Not A Valid Win32 Application

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jovi Sordides

Jovi Sordides

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:06 AM

Hi all:

Yesterday I downloaded a program to change a jpeg. extension to jpg. (I always thought they were th same!). Problem was right after I open the program (Stupid myself I did not scan it!) something went wrong. The computer started to run very slow, I had internet issues. I had Mccaffe (is outdated but I thought it was still working), tried to open it but nothing. Then I checked windows firewall, also got a message like "windows firewall setting can not be displayed"". A friend of mine came, we create another account in XP and now I'm able to be back online but everytime I tried to install any antivirus (free or not) when I got to the "services" it will abort, or it will said "anyprogram is not a valid win32 application", so what should I do? Also I tried Hijackthis and it will also say is not a valid win32 application.
Please, advice!

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:18 AM

What did that program you downloaded happen to be? Try doing a system restore to a date earlier than when you opened this downloaded program.

Edited by david28, 21 March 2008 - 07:18 AM.

#3 Jovi Sordides

Jovi Sordides
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hi David:

Thanks for your prompt answer. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention two steps I did try to solve the problem.
1- I tried system restore so I can go back in time but anytime I tried it failed
2-My friend also tried to install XP again or do something from 'safe mode" but that also failed

I do not remember the soft name I downloaded, it is in the other account that yesterday was so slow and unstable.

Should I try Combofix?

#4 Jovi Sordides

Jovi Sordides
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

wow...this is getting worse... not even Combofix works (is not a valid win32 application!)

I'm hopeless, what should I do?

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix logs. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

Hello and welcome, the tools needed to remove this are available under supervision here.
Please follow the instrucions in this tutorial or posting a HijackThis Log.
Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

After you have created it,post the log here HijackThis Logs and Malware Removaland NOT in this topic,thanks.

Click on New Topic and copy/paste the entire log into the reply. Give it a relevant title.
Once you have posted the log DO NOT reply to it or change it until contacted or advised to do so by the HJT Team tech.
Should you have any other questions about this ask those here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users