Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Naming A Backup In Cobian

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MacBett

MacBett

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:02 AM

I'm new to Cobian, but it seems very useful and fairly easy to use, and I'm playing about trying to get exactly what I want. I'm almost certain that there's a simple way to do this: I just don't know what it is!

I've got various folders which I back up from various places; they all go into a folder on my D drive, called Transfer Files, and then I move them onto various removeable media. (I'm running a small business, so I actually want copies of my data files off the premises.) I've told Cobian to copy the files to Transfer Files and it does, no problem. What I want to do is tell it to create a sub folder, the name of which includes the date. I want to end up with backup folders, say weekly, labelled 05-03-08, 12-03-08, 19-03-08 etc. Then once a month I can move out the last one, and delete earlier ones, but mid cycle I should have a couple later than the last one I've transferred to disk.

So how do I get it to put the system date in the folder name? It puts it on every individual folder it copies, so sure I can go in afterwards, create a folder called 05-03-08 and put all the 5 March backups in it, but surely there's a way to automate this?

I'm on Cobian 8 using Windows XP.

MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users