Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Topic Subscription Emails

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:58 AM

Hello. I get involved in many logs here at BC, and I use the email notification to keep track of topics that I am already dealing with. Occasionally, I stop adding to a topic, namely because I have no more advice to give, and am not actively helping.

Is is possible in the "Topic Subscription Reply" emails to have an "Unsubscribe from this topic" link?

The only reason I ask is my "Subscribed topic list can get relatively long, and digging through to find the right one to check can be a pain.

This might also reduce some load on BC's SMTP server, given more correct unsubscriptions are therefore fewer emails sent.

Just a thought. I have no experience running a site like this so I have no idea if that's realistic or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there :thumbsup:

Have a nice day,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

Yes you sure can :flowers:, click on My Controls>>Subscriptions>> Then select Forum or Topic and from there you can uncheck ones that you do not wish to get notified via email anymore :thumbsup: .

Regards,
David.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

There is a full description here and a few other things,Billy .. How To Unsubscribe From A Topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

Oh yes, forgot about that aswell :thumbsup:

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

Sorry guys, I must not have been clear.

What Im suggesting is that in the email notification for a topic, there be an "Unsubscribe from this topic" link in the email.
I figure if there can be a link that takes you to the newest post in the topic, there can be one to quit listening to the topic.

That would be useful, because then one would not have to dig through a ton of topics to find the one particular one to unsubscribe from. I can unsubscribe just fine, its just having the link in the email I was pointing out.

I dont know if that is realistic or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for your time,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

You mean have an option to unsubscribe from that topic if you are actually reading it?

Regards,
David.

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

More or less.
I get emails like this:

Billy O'Neal,

david28 has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Topic Subscription Emails".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
You mean have an option to unsubscribe from that topic if you are actually reading it?

Regards,
David.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The topic can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...view=getnewpost

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an
email for each reply made to this topic. Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.
This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

Unsubscribing:
--------------

You can unsubscribe at any time by logging into your control panel and clicking on the "View Subscriptions" link.

Regards,

The BleepingComputer.com team.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php

Instead of the "Unsubscribing:" thing, having a link to unsubscribe from that topic.

Billy3
Posted Image

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

Yep I know what you mean, I actually think that is a great idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users