Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Know Of A Backup System For Dummies... ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

Does anyone know of a Backup system for Dummies?

I want it to make a full backup of my files, and thereafter to do incremental backups every week or so.

I've tried half a dozen without success. At present I'm using Nero StartSmart to do my Backups, but I have no idea what it's really doing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:21 AM

Hello,

My typical backup method is to transfer my files to an external hard drive every now and then. It saves the CDs and DVDs. However this method is not always suitable, a simple google search for incremental backup software will yield a few products.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

I have been using SyncBack for a while now and loving it!!

All the details can be read elsewhere, but in summary, it comes with all standard backup tools for mirroring, moving, and copying folders from one place to another, with full 100% scheduling support and best of all FREE.

http://www.download.com/SyncBack/3000-2242_4-10413802.html

#4 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

niggle - I bought an external hard drive especially to save backups to.

My problem has been the poor interface of some of these Backup products. I think they are unnecessarily confusing and complex in design. None of them has a panel of buttons which are simply labelled FULL - INCREMENTAL - DIFFERENTIAL etc.

My Nero StartSmart does a backup every day - but nowhere can I find what type of backup it's doing -- full or incremental. I've been told that incremental backups shouldn't take more than 12 minutes or so, but I can see the red light flashing on my external hard drive for over an hour each day before it stops.

At E:\ - when I click on the backup for the day - there's not one note there of whether it has been a full backup or an incremental backup.

I need a Backup system that has a good 'control panel' on the screen in front of me... not one that's been designed by someone who assumes I already know how to operate the thing.

I know how to do all sorts of things with my computer - ripping, burning, torrents, etc - but doing a simple backup of my system has been by far the most frustrating thing I've had to tackle. The interface panel of the various backup systems just do not seem to have a clickable menu for you to choose from.

Lowtek - thanks for that link. I'll try it out. Much appreciated.

#5 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

hey Bone Idol
I use this app all the time for backup, it is set to do many types of backups including incremental, along with different compression options. It will also let you do a mirror, option if you do not want to compress.
Toucan

Edited by powerjuce, 21 March 2008 - 07:49 PM.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

Have you checked out Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps They have some useful back-up programs there.

Regards,
David.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

I have been using SyncBack for a while now and loving it!!

All the details can be read elsewhere, but in summary, it comes with all standard backup tools for mirroring, moving, and copying folders from one place to another, with full 100% scheduling support and best of all FREE.

http://www.download.com/SyncBack/3000-2242_4-10413802.html

My God, lowtek - what an absolute dog's dinner. SyncBack is more garbled and hectic than anything else I've checked out so far. Dear O dear. There's no facility for simply checking off the files you want to Backup - and then clicking a button. You have to re-start SyncBack for every single Directory file-load that you want to Backup.

Thanks anyway for trying. I'm looking for the simplest and most fool-proof Backup system - one which has a good intuitional interface that comes with it.

#8 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

hey Bone Idol
I use this app all the time for backup, it is set to do many types of backups including incremental, along with different compression options. It will also let you do a mirror, option if you do not want to compress.
Toucan

Dear O dear O dear... :thumbsup:

When I opened up Toucan it looked promising -- but then things went pear-shaped.

What, pray tell is a 'Backup File'? I've entered the Source Folder as My Documents... am I now supposed to believe that I have to separately enter EACH file of My Documents into the Backup File address slot and then click to have each of these backed up separately?

If the Backup File is my E:\ external hard drive - then Toucan is not recognising this - it's being refused.

Posted Image

Edited by Bone Idol, 21 March 2008 - 10:50 PM.

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

Have you checked out Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps They have some useful back-up programs there.

Regards,
David.

Thanks David, but I've since given up on Cobian Backup and Norton Ghost (Backup). I even had some email correspondence with Cobian over there in Sweden.

I need... the Dummies version of Backup -- one which requires that you ONLY need to follow the prompts on the screen in order to be able to do the job. It's not rocket science.

I want the Backup system that is so user-friendly and so straightforward that unlike all the rest - it hasn't managed to accrue 43 pages of FAQs from disgruntled newbies like me.

And Christ wept.

Edited by Bone Idol, 21 March 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'm looking for one now, for me and for you.

#11 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:08 AM

Here's another piece of poorly designed junk where I can't find the incremental Backup option. It's done a good job of doing a full backup of my selected files - but where O where is the incremental option that I want to schedule for weekly follow-up backups?

Is it any wonder that only a small percentage ever bother with running a Backup program?

Posted Image

#12 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:11 AM

I'm looking for one now, for me and for you.

:thumbsup:

I've had day-dreams of sending Gordon Ramsay to the Backup Software design studios.... Unleash him upon them like a rabid Rottweiler.

#13 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:18 AM

Well, for backing, I now just make a .rar file with My Documents and any important files I need etc. I know I probably should be using a propper back-up program, but for now, this will do. You could try this as an alternative.

Edited by david28, 22 March 2008 - 01:19 AM.

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:46 AM

What problem did you have with, Cobian?
I find it to be one of the easiest programs to use, for backing up your personal files.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:41 AM

tq1911 - don't ask. I don't remember. I've been on this crap-hunt for weeks now. It's all become a blur.

David - try EZBack-It-Up. It has done a great job of doing a full backup, but what has particularly impressed me is that when I open up my E:\ external hard drive - what has been backed up there is listed and labelled just as you would see the directories, folders and files on your computer.

Try EZBack-It-Up and tell me if you can find the incremental Backup for scheduling. Damned if I can.

http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/faq/

David - I've decided to forget about setting up scheduled incremental backups. I'm just going to do a full Backup with EZBack-It-Up once a fortnight or so after first wiping my external hard drive clean.

Edited by Bone Idol, 22 March 2008 - 05:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users