Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Painfully Slow Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eZpcTech

eZpcTech

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:05 AM

Hi all, New to this forum. Having XP Pro shutdown issues on a client's PC. The unit is a P4 3ghz Intel running 2.5gig RAM on a Gigabyte MB and XP Pro as the OS. Shutdown and or reboot takes upwards of 5 minutes. I've done the following...

* Checked that Nvidea Video Helper is disabled in Services.msc (actually it is not present)
* Removed all drivers from previous Nvidea card and installed new ATI Radion card)
* Updated Video drivers for ATI card.
* Checked for mismatched RAM.
* Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0 in the registry.
* Checked that no USB devices are attached when shutting down.
* Checked that the antivirus (Avast) is not scanning drives at shutdown.

Startup is fine, only shut down and reboot seem to be affected. I'm thinking there may be a compatibility issue with the video card as the problem seems to have started soon after the new one was installed. If that is the case does anyone have any workarounds? I've downloaded the 'User Profile Hive Cleanup Service' from Microsoft and I'll give that a go next but in the meantime does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:25 AM

Hello,

Have you changed the values of the hung app timeout, wait to kill service?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

Test the shutdown speed when you are in safe mode. If it shuts down quickly in safe mode, then there is a particular process or service that Windows is hanging on. Typically I see ccapp.exe (Norton/symantec core app) hang more times than not during shutdown.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:58 AM

Try opening Task Manager and clicking on the Processes tab. Make it big enough to see everything - then click on Shutdown to see if there's any suspicious activity that you can spot. Let us know the name of the process and we can work from there.

Also, here's a good link for troubleshooting shutdown issues: http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 eZpcTech

eZpcTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:35 AM

Try opening Task Manager and clicking on the Processes tab. Make it big enough to see everything - then click on Shutdown to see if there's any suspicious activity that you can spot. Let us know the name of the process and we can work from there.

Also, here's a good link for troubleshooting shutdown issues: http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Thanks John I'll try that

#6 eZpcTech

eZpcTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:37 AM

Test the shutdown speed when you are in safe mode. If it shuts down quickly in safe mode, then there is a particular process or service that Windows is hanging on. Typically I see ccapp.exe (Norton/symantec core app) hang more times than not during shutdown.

Good idea, didn't think of that thanks. No Norton bloat-ware on the machine in question and no remnants of it either. I'll get back to you with the results.

#7 eZpcTech

eZpcTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:39 AM

Hello,

Do you mean on every service? I'm a bit nervous about doing that. Is the min timeout 10000?

#8 eZpcTech

eZpcTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

Hello,

Do you mean on every service? I'm a bit nervous about doing that. Is the min timeout 10000?

Sorry, my bad, thinking something else ... yes I ran CachemanXP and set the timeout to 2 sec's - no difference

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

try using this tool, http://www.tweaknow.com/ click the windows core section then change the values in the windows time out section to something a little more friendly.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users