Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Help !

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 George77

George77

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:32 AM

Hi all,
I was goin thru the forum and thought I'll ask you help after going thru some of your posts. I'm using a Compaq AMD system (3 yrs old) with win xp home on it and it doesn't boot any more. It says file usbhub.sys is missing and as soon as the win xp loads, it restarts and repeats the same story.I do have a lot of files on it incl. kids pics and songs and videos (thousands of them) and i don't wanna lose any of it. Tried a Standard recovery using the recovery CD and it didn't work.It just doesnt list the C: windows directory for me to select which installation to repair...it just shows "C:\>" What shall i do?

Cant try a full recovery as it will wipe out all the files. I do have access to 2 other computers and I tried connecting this IDE drive to one of them as a slave to recover the data but unfortunately that system runs on XP PRO and it didnt give me any access to this hard drive at all.(I guess a conflict between Xp home and Pro) Cant try connecting it to the third system as it takes in only SATA drives and this one is IDE. Could u plz help me to get thru this mess. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to copy all my files and then I could try a full system recovery wiping out everything clean. Please do help,with some suggestions if u have time.Thanks in advance.
George.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 George77

George77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

Just to let everyone know that I did chkdsk :and it said its fine...and to see the windows installation I used the command "c:\> cd windows" and it says the path of file specified is not valid..help me please.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

Try going into the Control Panel, douple click on Sytem, when that opens choose Advanced and click on Setting in Sartup and
Recovery. In the middle of this page you should see System Failure, uncheck the box that reads Automatically restart. This should stop the restart and you should then receive an error message about you real problem. Please post that back here.

Have you tried to open in safe mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 George77

George77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

Dc,
I cant even log on, the minute I see the win xp logo, it reboots. how can I get in to win xp startup otherwise? I tried logging on in safe mode..that doesnt work either.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:14 AM

Do you have the Windows XP CD? If you do, try and run SFC (System File Checker). Make sure you have the XP CD in the drive then at the command prompt type in: "SFC SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press enter. That should fix the the file problem you are having that is causing the PC to not run properly.

Let us know if this fixes your problem :thumbsup:

Regards,
David.

#6 George77

George77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:08 AM

David,
it says sfc scannow command is not recognised. What shall I do?

#7 George77

George77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

David,
Voila !! Surprisingly, its fixed !! I had run CHK DSK /p and /r last nite and this morning when i rebooted..its fixed !!! Thank you guys for all the suggestions.

Edited by George77, 21 March 2008 - 04:36 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

FWIW: Chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f are the only two modes of chkdsk...which actually do any repairing. The chkdsk /r includes the functions done by chkdsk /f.

All others read/display, etc. but do not fix anything.

Louis

#9 George77

George77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

Louis,
I'm in trouble again...the system boots, I was able to have a look at the files and every thing's intact.But after a while it shuts down itself saying Disk Boot Error, please insert xp CD. When I inserted xp Cd, it was goin to load Xp again...What shall i do?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

If it were me, I would be checking the last date that I had made a backup of everything on that drive. If I needed to make one, I would do so or move whatever I wanted to another drive/partition.

IMO, what you've stated so far all smacks of hard drive problems.

Backing up would be my first priority, running a disk diagnostic would be my secondary.

Louis

#11 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hello George77,

(I was going to post this earlier, but then saw that your problem was apparently solved.)

If your primary goal now is to recover important personal files from the Compaq, you might again try connecting this IDE drive as a slave drive in one of your other computers (as you said you already did in your first post above). Then, you may need to take ownership of the folders/files on that slave drive in order to be able to access them from the 2nd system (XP Pro).

"How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:18 AM

Did you change the jumper on the hard drive (to slave or cable select) when you put it in the other system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users