Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Comps Off One Adsl Line.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

I have an SMC Modem which connects me to my Omantel ADSL line here in Muscat.

I need from time to time, to be able to run two computers off this modem if possible please. There are only two outlets from the modem, one for LAN and one USB port. The computer shop is trying to sell me all kinds of expensive stuff to enable this and I am very unsure exactly what is required.

My son, who's comp I want to join to when he visits, thought that by putting a USB extension cable from the Modem USB port to his computer would do the trick but it hasn't I am afraid.

Are there any other simple shortcuts that we can use without having to pay $50/60 for a little box with extra ports?.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:34 AM

Hello,

I think it will be very difficult, without the use of a box with extra ports. The modem you have is plugged into the phone line via cable, and your system via USB. A router could be set up to enable a number of systems to connect.

However you could possibly set up the other computer to connect to your computer and use it as an internet gateway of sorts.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

Thank you Alan very much for your reply.

Yes, we will give that a try. I will report the outcome!
Best regards.

John

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:11 AM

Are there any other simple shortcuts that we can use without having to pay $50/60 for a little box with extra ports?.

not really, having a good router is also an added security feature, the hardware firewall is superior to most any of the ones in a modem

I never could get the internet connection sharing to work
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

Just network the two computers, as suggested by Nigglesnush85.

Like DaChew, I never could get ICS to work properly consistently...once I went to a router, my irritations vanished.

Louis

#6 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

Thank you all fopr the help. All noted and taken on board.

Thanks again and Happy Easter if you celebrate it!

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users