Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer In Serious Trouble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SLR

SLR

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

I have xp prefessional P4 2.8Gz 512 mb ram.

I just reinstalled windows, which I have done many times before. But this time after reinstalling windows the computer is not running properly. The computer restarts itself when windows is loading while boot up. I suspect the problem is being caused by one of those tune up utility programs ( I think it was Pc Tools) which I used to change up the boot up screen. And from then on I have been having this problem of computer restarting. So I reinstalled windows again and again but this problem is persisting. After 10 or 15 restarts windows loads up. But then after I restart again, it is back to the problem of restarts while booting up. Sometime I get the message " cant find or corrupt WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM , you can attempt to repair using the original xp cd by pressing r at startup" which I tried.

Another problem might be this time I used the full NTFS format of the drive, I usually use the ntfs (quick ) option .
But I am convinced that it is the changing of the boot screen that caused my problem, because when the windows loads up for the first time after reinstalling windows there is a message like " some registry thing was causing a problem but was recovered"

So some help please

Edited by SLR, 20 March 2008 - 10:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

If you have reinstalled the OS several time without any luck I would suspect that you have a problem with the hdd. Try downloading the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run it to see what condition you hdd is in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

If you have done a full reformat and re-install of Windows, then the application that you use to change the boot screen should not be installed anymore and should not be giving you any more problems since it was wiped out during the format.

#4 SLR

SLR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

I took out the hard disk of the computer and connected it to my old computer and installed windows on the hard disk there and every thing installed fine, there was no error copying some file messsage that I was getting on when I was reinstalling windows on my regular computer. So it might be down to the dvd rom of my regular computer not working properly. But when I take my
cd rom of my old computer and connect it to my regular computer then it does not boot.
What is it thats causing the problem. The only new thing I installed was that PC tools program. No other new hardware or software.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

Did you set the BIOS to detect the new hardware? Some need to be reset/redetected manually (like the one on this system).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users