Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Computer Not Starting Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brotherjordan

brotherjordan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

This morning a bubble popped up on my computer that said "The file or folder C:\$Secure is corrupted and
unreadable. Please use chkdisk to fix this error". It kept popping up even after I clicked it away. So I decided to restart my computer to see if it would go away and now my computer will not start up again. It gets to the screen where the XP logo pops up with the three moving blue boxes underneath it, then the screen goes black and it attempts to load again. I have no clue as to what is wrong or how to fix it, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

Have you recently installed Internet Explorer 7?
Try booting into safe mode. To do this:
  • Turn on your computer and when it beeps, start tapping the F8 key
  • This should bring you to the boot menu.
  • Select safe mode (at the very top) and Windows should start.
Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and uninstall IE7. Reboot normally and the problem should be gone.
Then go to Microsoft Update and Select Custom updates. Download and Install All Updates Except IE7. If prompted to reboot, do so. If you want IE7, go back to Microsoft Update and Install IE7 and the problem should not occur anymore.

Hope that helps!

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

Soooo...you never heeded the error message? You did not run chkdsk as instructed?

Do you have an XP CD?

Louis

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Try running chkdsk first then if the problem persists report back.

David.

#5 brotherjordan

brotherjordan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not very up on computer things. I did try rebooting in safe mode, like Tomo2 said, but (like with normal mode) it starts to boot but quickly shuts down and attempts to boot again. I don't know what chkdsk is so I don't know how to run it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

Chkdsk is a basic utility provided with XP and later versions (actually Windows 2000 and later versions) that allows a user to remedy some situations which impede the operation of Windows.

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

It can be run from the XP CD, if users have one, to try to clean up situations where XP will not boot or has trouble booting.

It's not a panacea, just the first step in trying to solve a problematical situation.

Louis

#7 brotherjordan

brotherjordan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

i don't have an XP CD but i'm not sure if I did if that would work
because i can't get my computer to start up at all, it's just in this continual loop of trying to start

#8 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

because i can't get my computer to start up at all, it's just in this continual loop of trying to start

You need to get ahold of an XP cd so that you can run chkdsk from the recovery console, it will probably work since you wont need to boot from the hard drive which is most likely the reason for your continuous boot, reboot cycle you are stuck in.

Edited by lowtek_otc, 21 March 2008 - 01:15 PM.

#9 brotherjordan

brotherjordan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

You need to get ahold of an XP cd so that you can run chkdsk from the recovery console, it will probably work since you wont need to boot from the hard drive which is most likely the reason for your continuous boot, reboot cycle you are stuck in.

is there anywhere i can buy or download the contents of the CD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users