Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Real-time Spyware Protection.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I am currently using AVG 7.5 Professional Edition, SpywareBlaster, Spyware Terminator, SUEPRAntiSpyware, COMODO Firewall PRO and AVG Anti-Rootkit. I use Spyware Terminator for real-time protection, but am not feeling to confident about it anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, freeware real-time protection program against Spyware?

Regards,
David.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

Have you tried Spybot S&D? I've heard many people talking about SpywareGuard as well, but haven't used it yet. Maybe you might want to give it a try...

Edited by Juha, 20 March 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

I used to use Spybot S&D but I have heard many problems of it and some of them include a re-install of XP due to Spybot. As for SpywareGuard, I am not to fond of that either as the updates are out of date, the program hasn't been updated for a long time and it is moving into the shadows. So those two I don't prefer using. I have looked at the freeware replacements for common commercial apps and have found none that I am going to use.

Thanks Juha, I will keep looking into some other programs.

Regards,
David.

#4 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

I use just Spybot S&D and Avast! Home Edition.
My Spybot is out-of-date atm. Apparently the current version is a lot better than the version I have installed. And Avast is great all round protection. From Email and IM to the Web and straight scanning It's the only thing I use!
I have Windows Defender also installed but don't use it anymore due to it causing a BSOD now and again.
When I don't have a virus for a month or so I get skeptical of my AV, I haven't had a battle with a virus for more than a year :thumbsup:

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#5 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

I used to use Spybot S&D but I have heard many problems of it and some of them include a re-install of XP due to Spybot.

Well, that's probably because of a wrong button click at the wrong place!

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

No I haven't actual had the problem but I have heard of them multiple times. Even one of our members, DaChew had to re-install his OS due to Spybot.

I think I might just stick with SpywareTerminator for my real-time spyware protection for now. Untill I find a better one or one that i prefer better.

Tomo2, I personally don't like Windows Defender because of the amount of problems it has. We even have a whole forum devoted to it on BC because of it :thumbsup:

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 20 March 2008 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users