Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is RAID 0,1 and should I set it up?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

:thumbsup: Hello,

I am a wannabe gamer and have a pretty fast computer but have really no idea how to fine tweak it to optimal performance. Today's question is whether to attempt, install,and run RAID 0,1.

Since I have no idea what it is, my question to all of you is should I do it? I seem to have the ability but it does not look easy.

If you have any information on this all would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

For the most part you are not going to see a increase in performance, but you will have increase of data security. If that is important to you than i would go ahead. There have been many different reports on how raid increases performance. Some say it does, others say it does not

#3 junkdk

junkdk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:30 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks a million. The process, like I said, does not look easy. If it does not improve performance signifcantly then I will not do it.

Thanks for the responce,

Junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:53 PM

I might be a bit late with this info...

RAID <any number> is pointless unless you have at least two identical hard drives.

There are combinations of RAID 0 and 1 available that can (allegedly) give you the performance improvement of striping along with the data security of mirroring. There's a description of the Intel RAID controller at http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/matri...id/index.x?pg=1
- which describes some different combinations of 0 & 1 in simple terms.

If you are trying to squeeze the best performance out of your system then you should look at the striping options for your controller but I have no practical experience with this.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 junkdk

junkdk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

:thumbsup:

I didn't know they had to be identical...hymn.

Thanks,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:21 PM

You might want to post your tweaking question to the Games board. One thing you can do to improve performance is to use only those programmes and processes absolutely essential to operate the computer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users