Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Disappearing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

Computer was reformatted a few weeks as the main hard drive stopped working. Had to change it to my 2nd hard drive after being reformatted and was working fine until today.

Had left the computer and came back 15 minutes later to find it had froze. Restarted it and it seemed to take a lot longer than usual to load up. Thought nothing of it but then was looking for something and discovered the 2nd hard drive isnt showing in my computer. Not in device manager or disk management either. Just seems to have disappeared.

There was no error message or anything, if i unplug the hard drive the computer starts up at usual speed, plug it back in it takes ages without saying there's a problem.

Tried google but most results seem to be for installing a new hard drive and that isnt the problem here as it was set up and working fine. Anyone know what i should try?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

Just to clarify what was done
C drive quit working
You formatted the 2nd drive, made it the master and installed the OS on it
Both hard drives are still in the machine.
Is the OS on one or both hard drives?
Have you change the master/slave jumpers on the drives?
You can go to the support site for the hard drive mfg. and download their diagnostic utility to see if the drive is damaged

Edited by garmanma, 20 March 2008 - 08:59 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Just to clarify what was done
C drive quit working
You formatted the 2nd drive, made it the master and installed the OS on it
Both hard drives are still in the machine.
Is the OS on one or both hard drives?
Have you change the master/slave jumpers on the drives?
You can go to the support site for the hard drive mfg. and download their diagnostic utility to see if the drive is damaged

C drive quit working and would only let me reformat the drive. couldnt access it at all despite a few folk having a look.

e drive was fine but the os was on c so had to install the OS on the 2nd one (E) and change it to master hard drive.

the main drive was then reformatted and set as a secondary hard drive. that was working fine for weeks until it suddenly disappeared from my computer and device manager etc

will try their site now. will they be able to see it to test if its damaged if its not showing up in the computer on my computer etc though?

thanks for the reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users