Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer "fried"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Reav08

Reav08

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hey, a few days ago I was watching a movie on my computer (custom built gaming rig, don't know all the details of it) and I went to readjust my monitor's height. As soon as it moved a centimeter it flashed off and right back on again for a few seconds before both the monitor and the tower shut off completely and I could smell smoke coming from the machine. I quickly unplugged everything as to not have a fire start and opened my computer up to see what the hell just happened. Now I have no idea what I was looking for but it looked alright to me, I made sure everything was plugged in correctly and nothing looked out of the ordinary. It's been 2 days now and the thing still won't start up and I'm ready to take it over to Geek Squad to have them see what's wrong with it. The monitor works just fine, it turns off and on like it always has but I get no power whatsoever to the tower. No light comes on anywhere on or in the machine and I tried the power cable from the computer on the monitor and that's not the problem. I think it's the motherboard that's all out of wack, but I don't want to have to take it over to them just to find out I need to get another computer. I have all my files and reports on there that cannot be lost otherwise I should just kill myself now. Need some help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Markil

Markil

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Reav08, How old is the computer? Reason Im asking is that I upgraded my motherboard about 3 months ago. Upgrade went fine and puter was running great for about 5 or 6 days, then one evening while passing the door to my study, I smelled smoke. I did the same things you mentioned and found nothing until I completely gutted it and found a burn area on the underside of the mboard. When the board went through its final soldering stage, one of the drips (As the soldering is liquid when applied) was just long enough to ground out when the side of the tower was pressed against, thus frying the mboard.

Good luck!

Markil

#3 Reav08

Reav08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

The computer is almost 3 years old. I've been poking around in there and I'm starting to think it's the actual power supply. It acts as though no power is getting to it at all.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

Unplug the computer from the wall. Unplug the power supply connector (20 or 24 pin) to the motherboard. Plug the computer back in. Using a paper clip, bent to size, short the green wire to any black wire in the plug. The computer should turn on. If not, get a new power supply
Nice power supply guide
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

Yes I was just about to post that it would be a power supply issue but garmanma got in before me :thumbsup:. Do what garmanma has advised you to do. Then if it fails, you will most likely need to look into a new PSU.

Regards,
David.

#6 Reav08

Reav08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

Unplug the computer from the wall. Unplug the power supply connector (20 or 24 pin) to the motherboard. Plug the computer back in. Using a paper clip, bent to size, short the green wire to any black wire in the plug. The computer should turn on. If not, get a new power supply
Nice power supply guide

Um...what? I have no idea what the 20 or 24 pin is and I don't believe I'm able to do any of that. I'm think I'm just going to take it over to Geek Squad and ask them if it's the power supply or motherboard. I can't do anything fancy like that but I appreciate the suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users