Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testing Dialup Modem?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Markil

Markil

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

Greetings All, My son-in-law has a Toshiba laptop. Unable to connect to his dialup server (He has no cable possibilities where he lives, and doesnt want install a dish where he is quite yet) His laptop connects fine while on cable. I know the cards are different, I was just wondering if there is any test I can perform on the dialup while connected on cable.

Thanks,
Markil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Testing the modem for what?

I mean...there are tests for functionality, there are indications of modem speed...what is it that you would be looking for by "testing"?

As for your question of testing one connection while on another type...I think not, but I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

If readers have a better understanding of what you see as "the problem", then maybe someone can provide something more intelligent (than what I can) in response.

When I was on dialup (a very long time), I quickly learned that the ISP is the most valuable source of information when a user has a problem connecting. ISPs have internal problems which impact users/customers and they are usaully quite helpful in pointing out user errors when connections are error-plagued because of user mistakes.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2008 - 07:53 PM.

#3 Markil

Markil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I would need to test for functionality. My son-in-law says he cant connect at all while using his dialup and being slightly on the impatient side, he says he just needs another laptop. I took the laptop to a local tech yesterday, but he was out on a call.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

why not get wireless broadband from sprint or verizon? My mom is in the boonies and that's what works for her.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

I can only speak from my dialup experiences.

If the modem is properly reflected in Device Manager...and the owner/user cannot connect, then it either becomes a configuration problem...an ISP problem...or a defective/failing modem.

If the user ever...yes, ever...had the modem functioning properly, that tends to reduce the chance that it is defective, IMO. But that can be easily checked by just inserting another modem (if we are talking about a desktop), which is inexpensive. Nothing lasts forever.

If the modem is not defective and proper drivers are installed...but there is a problem getting online...again, first check with the ISP. If the ISP indicates that there is no problem at their edn, then I would consider reconfiguring the modem and ensuring that all settings for the dialup connection are proper.

If we are talking about a laptop...options are a little different but the same thoughts would apply, IMO.

Others here may be able to advise you with something that makes more sense.

Louis

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:12 PM

in control panel or in device manager you can check out the modem, and query it to see if it returns at commands

if it's dialing the isp but having a hard time connecting or holding a connection then go outside to the test box and connect directly and try there

if you are more than 3.5 miles of cable pair distance from the slick or nearest switching station then a 28.8 or 32K connection will be all she wrote

the telephone company is only required to furnish fax speed 14.4 on a voice line

more than one digital to analog conversion prevents v90 also

dial 1 and listen you should have a quiet line

Edited by DaChew, 20 March 2008 - 10:13 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:51 PM

similar to this problem, I am having:

Dell Win XP Pro Ver. 2002 Intel ® Celeron ® 2.4 ghz 512 mm 40gb

Two facts:

If you try to connect (initial connection), it tells you it cannot initialize.

I called the ISP -- they walked me through configurations which were already intact and all ... then, concluded that jack or cord was bad.

I tried other cords and jacks ... and was about to give up when I discovered that when the
computer is simply on ... as soon as you put the phone cord in the back of the computer you loose the dial tone. To get it back, you have to disconnect the cord from the computer or the wall then, reconnect.

What would you suggest I do?

#8 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

why not get wireless broadband from sprint or verizon? My mom is in the boonies and that's what works for her.

I wish. :thumbsup: It's not available to everyone in the boonies. :flowers: :trumpet:

I had a similar problem. While I could make phone calls, I couldn't get on-line using my dial-up connection. So you would think that the problem wouldn't be in the phone line right? . . . Wrong.
I followed the ISP's advice for configuring, and still couldn't connect. I called Verizon, and they sent a man out who checked the phone line's and found a problem about 3 miles from my house. A dead ground short or something, I'm not sure.
He fixed the problem and I've been online ever since. (at a blistering speed of 2.8 kbs) So the problem could be in the phone line's. Even though you can call in and out. Go figure.

#9 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

If its a laptop, offer to take it in to the ISP's local office and have them verify it connects from a jack in their office.
I wouldnt call the phone co to "check the line" as companies may have policies about billing YOU for a NO TROUBLE FOUND or DEFECTIVE MODEM call.

#10 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

Well, I have another computer which has NO PROBLEM connecting.
Sorry I didn't mention that.

#11 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

If its a laptop, offer to take it in to the ISP's local office and have them verify it connects from a jack in their office.
I wouldnt call the phone co to "check the line" as companies may have policies about billing YOU for a NO TROUBLE FOUND or DEFECTIVE MODEM call.

I think, (and don't quote me on this), if you let them in your house to troubleshoot your lines, they charge you. Because it's your phone line in your house. If it's the line outside from their jack post, (or whatever it's called), it's their phone line so they they can't charge you for that. I asked if there would be a charge, and this is what they told me.

Anyway, this point is moot, as he can connect with another PC.

Alpad / Markil. Hope you solve your problem. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users