Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows98 Old Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mark9

mark9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

I recentley inherited an old lavienx laptop which originally I believe had windows 98. I replaced the harddrive but when I switch on I am told that I need to run phdisk and create new partition, does anyone know where I can get a phdisk for 98 I believe it is a floppy disc which I could download but I dont have a floppy drive. Or if there are alternatives and possibly more updated versions of windows I can use and still create a new partition on the hard drive I would like to know.
Thank you
Yours puzzled
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

You threw me there for a minute. The command is FDISK. You need to download a bootdisk to a floppy. You can download one here
www.bootdisk.com Use the ME one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

Hello and welcome to BC!

Nothing native to Windows 98 will tell you to create a hard drive partition.
That does not happen. Something else might be going on.

More information would be really helpful
Make & model of the system
What you have done so far and where you are at currently

Here is a link to a tech article what phdisk does
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=14860

Is it useful or needed?
Not sure

Edited by Eyesee, 20 March 2008 - 08:13 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

After reading Eyesee's link I guess the first thing we need to determine is what exactly is it that you need. If you put a new hard drive in it and now you want to partition, format and install an OS, you need FDISK. I'm not familiar with Phdisk
As for no floppy drive, do you have a USB slot or a pcmcia-USB card? If so you might be able to use a thumb drive. Not sure if your old BIOS will recognize it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

98 second edition cd's are bootable. First edition cd's are not.

Looks to me that phdisk is only a powr mamagement utility that can be disabled in the system BIOS.

With a new drive it must be fdisked and formatted before you can use it.

The moldel number of this system would really be helpful
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 FTT

FTT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

Actually, if I remember correctly, it's just like 'The Wizard of OZ'. When Dorothy and gang are going through the poppy field, suddenly everything is in colour.

98SE CD's are only bootable if you are closer to the Emerald Palace... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users