Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting A Win98 Computer To An Existing Broadband Connection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Yirabeth

Yirabeth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

I have an existing broadband connection (posting from it now) which has 2 computers already on it. The setup is as follows --- Cable modem --> D-Link router --> WinXP computer and WinVista computer. I decided to dig my old computer out of the basement (It's running win98SE) and add it to the connections, so installed a network card (D-Link DGE 530T) plugged in the cable from the network card to the router and..nothing. (Router has 4 ports)I know once upon a time I had this computer receiving broadband via a network card but, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get it to do it NOW. When attempting to use the browser it only says it's offline. I've browsed around and the ONLY way it seems to want to connect is via a home network, or dialup. I have never had a home network (computers are kept VERY seperate here, kids on the others etc) and I don't wish it now. I ONLY want internet access. Without buying a modem and using dialup hehe

Win98 claims the network is installed correctly, and is working properly.

Any help on this (probably simple) problem?

TIA :thumbsup:

Yira

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users