Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes Everytime I Try To Run A Full Scan Of Something

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seranade123

seranade123

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

I have already been working with the folks on the malware side of the forum and DASOS asked me to post here - he doesn't think my issues are maleware related.

My problem is that everytime I try to run a scan - virus scan my computer crashes. DASOS thought perhaps it might be memory related? I don't know.

He's seen my SDFIx - Hijackthis logs etc....

I'm running win xp - let me know if you guys have any ideas - I don't know where to start to provide additional information.

THanks
Seranade

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

What hardware does the system have? processor RAM etc.

You may want to try this tool http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html it irons out most of windows problems. As always back up first.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

That may help a little more.

I had Vundo - then computer totally crashed - went back to factory install, but I still think I am infected.

Everytime I try to run a virus scan the computer crashes...hoping someone might be able to help me figure this out.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

Do you get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) when it crashes? If so, what does the BSOD say?
Have you checked your Event Viewer for errors related to this error? Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Make sure to check the System log file for these errors.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 seranade123

seranade123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

- WHen the system crashes it turns off the computer all together - cuts power to the processor.

I did the event vwer thing in the start menu - I'm not sure what it is that I am looking for, however, and or how to interpret the data.

Im running a Compaq, 1200MHz, 1.20 GHz, 256 MB or RAM - xp home version 2002 with svc pack 2.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:43 AM

You'll be looking for errors. When you find an error around the time of the crash, double click on it to get the contents of the error message - then post it here.

When booting your computer, press F8 just as the Windows screen first appears. This'll get you to the Safe Mode menu. One of the options there should be "Disable automatic restart on system failure" or something similar. Select it and press Enter. The next time your system crashes, it should display the BSOD and you can let us know what it says.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:53 AM

In the Event Viewer the errors will be located in the left hand margin, they will appear as red dots with a white X inside them. In the column titled Event you will find a number in the same line as the error, if you right click on this number a menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will have a description of error. Please post the error code (the number in the Event column) and the description.

To stop the automatic restart go to Start> Control Panel> System> Advanced> Startup and Recovery> Settings. Under System Failure uncheck the box for Automatically Restart.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users