Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ati Catalyst Control Centre Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hi, I was over on File Hippo this evening and saw a freeware program called Update Checker which I thought was a good idea so I downloaded it, let it do it's thing and had a look at the results. It had found three updates for Quicktime, Realplayer and WinRar. It also says it found an update to my Graphics Card drivers. My Graphic Card is the Radeon 7500 Series. I did a search months ago on the AMD site and found what I thought was the latest update for this Graphics Card which was the Catalyst Software Suite version 6.11 The Update Checker found an update called ATI Catalyst Drivers 8.3 to replace my installed version of 6.5 . My question is if it is safe enough to install this update as according to AMD's site I have the latest version. Would appreciate some clarification on this before I do something I may regret. I have taken the following text from an Everest scan.

Video Adapter Properties
Device Description RADEON 7500 SERIES
Adapter String RADEON 7500 SERIES
BIOS String 133-P17703-501
Chip Type RADEON 7500 Series AGP (0x5157)
DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
Installed Drivers ati2dvag (6.14.10.6614)
Memory Size 128 MB

Video Adapter Manufacturer
Company Name ATI Technologies Inc.
Product Information http://www.ati.com/products/gamer.html
Driver Download http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

I would trust the AMD website. The other program may have either an error, trying to get you to download spyware, or they are listing beta drivers that aren't certified yet.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reply Sneakycyber,
I have been told that FileHippo is ok to download from. I know that the Catalyst Control Centre is a part of many Radeon Graphic Cards that are newer than the 7500 series and I have a feeling that this update is for one of them I just thought someone here with more technical nous would be able to confirm it.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hello,

The tool looks legit. As far as I can see it takes a list of all the software on filehippo's servers and compares that list to products on the users system. Its quite good, I have just used it to update several programs. It said that my graphics drivers for my laptop were out of date ad asked me to download a 43MB driver update. However my graphics drivers are only compatible from the laptop manufacturer.

If the tool says you are not running the latest programs, you should check the product manufacturer's website for an updated version.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

The ATI site is right, the program isn't completly wrong, but the 8.3 update doesn't support the Radeon 7500. The 6.11 update was the last update for the Radeon 7500.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Protozero, I had a feeling that would be the answer.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

I have an ATI AIW 7500.

My experience is that the newer drivers...do not support the card (even though ATI believes they do) and the drivers on the CD work fine...so I don't worry about updating that which works fine.

On ATI cards, I pretty much take the approach that I take with BIOS updates...if it ain't broke, why break it?

I had more problems with the MMC than anything, but my general experience was that the newer drivers (my 7500 is a pretty old card) are meant for newer cards.

Louis

#8 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:41 PM

I have an ATI AIW 7500.

My experience is that the newer drivers...do not support the card (even though ATI believes they do) and the drivers on the CD work fine...so I don't worry about updating that which works fine.

On ATI cards, I pretty much take the approach that I take with BIOS updates...if it ain't broke, why break it?

I had more problems with the MMC than anything, but my general experience was that the newer drivers (my 7500 is a pretty old card) are meant for newer cards.

Louis

It's true, they'll release a card, then the next 2-4 driver updates are solely for the newest cards and the rest of the previous generations it usually provides tiny bug fixes and sometimes performance improvements.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users