Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD ROM not detected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bear613

bear613

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:14 PM

Suddenly, the computer does not recognize either of the CD Rom drives.

I didn't change anything, it just doesn't work. Master/Slave is there, loads on boot, and the CD player comes up, but even if there is a CD in the drive, it says there is none and certainly wont play anything. I also get a message of "There is no CD Rom attached to this computer"

Can anyone help? I need this for my business. Much thanks.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:58 PM

Hi Bear

What version of Windows do you have, and can you look inside and see if you cd rom and hard drive are connected on the same cable. Where there any changes to your system? Any new software or hardware additions or deletions?

Thanks

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 bear613

bear613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:20 PM

Hi Bear

What version of Windows do you have, and can you look inside and see if you cd rom and hard drive are connected on the same cable. 

Win 98. It would be extremely difficult to look inside, it's a tower and, well, let's just say it would be very hard.

Where there any changes to your system?  Any new software or hardware additions or deletions?

Nothing. I put a CD in that is an installation disc of a program I have and that loaded fine. But ANY music CDs do not play and it doesnt recognize either one.

Ive been google-ing this for hours and hours. On one hand the system tells me they are there, but then it says 'no cd rom is attached to this computer' :thumbsup:

I remember working on my dad's computer and there was a way to revert back to an older version to 'erase' problems that had occured, can't remember, older registry? older whatever. If I could just get back to what the system was yesterday, I think it would be OK, but I cannot remember how I did on my dad's computer.

Id be enormously grateful if someone could help.

I can tell you this as well. In the Multimedia folder under Media Control Devices? The CD devices have disappeared. I forget what it was called exactly, but it began with 'CD" and that's gone.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:55 PM

I remember working on my dad's computer and there was a way to revert back to an older version to 'erase' problems that had occured, can't remember, older registry? older whatever.

To restore a previous version of your registry boot the computer and repeatedly press F8 until you come to a black and white screen with a menu. Use the arrow keys to select "Command Prompt Only" and press enter. At C:\> type in "scanreg /restore" without the quotes. You will be presented with a list of 5 previous registrys to restore to. Using the arrow keys pick one with a date prior to having this problem occur. Press enter and press enter again when prompted to restart your computer.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 bear613

bear613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:10 PM

I got the CD Media Device back. It PLAYS Cds now but there is no sound.

I tried playing some wav files to see if there's ANY sound and they played fine. So the problem now is there is no SOUND from the CD player.

Any advice?

I thought about the registry and there is stuff on there I cant lose, damn it

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:35 PM

I thought about the registry and there is stuff on there I cant lose, damn it

You won't "lose" anything by restoring the registry. You will simply undo any recent changes.

Have you tried using Windows Media Player or some other player to play a CD?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 bear613

bear613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

You won't "lose" anything by restoring the registry. You will simply undo any recent changes.

Here's the thing, my only choices are from 2003. Now what will that do? Revert me back to then? Cant do it, have too many programs. ugh.

Yes I tried wav files and they play fine. It's JUST the CD players.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

Yes I tried wav files and they play fine. It's JUST the CD players.

What I was trying to get at was have you tried opening WMP and tried playing a CD through that.

What are the CD players you refer to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users