Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bs86vrnx.default

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

Every time I run AVG 7.0 in safe mode, I get cookies attached to this particular file: zedo, adrevolver, and yieldmanager. It is in Mozzilla.

The cookies are tracking ones and no matter how many times I use SpyBot and Ad-aware, they come back.

Should I be concerned?

Thank you.

Catherine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase 'attached to this particular file' (is 'Bs86vrnx.default' a folder in which firefox stores cookies - anyone?) but if all that your AVG is finding are tracking cookies, that's nothing to be concerned about, in itself. Cookies are harmless text files. You will pick them up repeatedly (unless you set your browser to reject them), because every time you visit certain websites, those cookies are planted, yet again, on your computer, even if you've previously removed them.

You can't do any harm by deleting them, and they can't do any harm to you. (They're often seen as a threat to privacy, but they're so easy to control that it's not worth all the fuss that's made about them.) There's a guide to cookies here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/45333/cookies-a-complete-guide/

I don't use Firefox much myself, but it seems quite straightforward to restrict what cookies are planted on your computer. Click Tools, then options, then privacy. In the 'Keep until' box, choose 'ask me every time', and you'll then be warned every time a cookie is offered, and be given the option to reject it. Others may offer some more convenient methods. Otherwise, just keep deleting them when your antispyware programs find them.

This said, I can't find any such folder 'Bs86vrnx.default' on my computer, though I do have Firefox installed, so I'd be glad if anyone can clarify this reference. (Firefox cookies seem to be cached in 'vu6nbj6.default' on my machine.)

Edited by Alan D, 21 March 2008 - 12:31 PM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:43 AM

Cassiopeia you have nothing to be worried about.

Tracing cookies are everywhere on the internet and are extreemly hard to avoid.
They won't do you any harm so when your anti spyware picks them up it will simply delete them.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

If you want to prevent cookies from a particular site, in Firefox, just add them to the Exceptions list.

Firefox / Tools / Options / Privacy
Under Cookies, click the Exceptions... button.
Enter the URL of the site you want to block in the Address of web site: text field, and click the Block button.
That site will be permanently blocked from setting cookies.

Another, and easier alternative, would be to install SpywareBlaster.
It will add a long list of sites, including zedo, adrevolver, and yieldmanager, to your Exceptions list.
Here's a tutorial on Using SpywareBlaster.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users