Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"apply A Thin Layer Of Thermal Grease On The Cpu Die."

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

Alright,

I've got all my newly purchased PC parts to build my new PC. Everything seems pretty straight forward, all stuff I've played with on my old PC.

Even the weird strange "Big Typhoon" - "Car Muffler" of a heat sink.

But sense I've never played with the heat sink on my old PC I am at a total lose as to what the "die" of the CPU is which is where I am suppose to put a small helping of grease on?

Do they mean right on the back of the CPU where the "Car Muffler" of a heat sink is going to be touching?

If this is the case then I get it other wise I have no idea?

But in any case sense I've never done this before if someone would be so kind as to explain to me very carefully what I am doing here and what is suppose to happen before I bolt this "Car Muffler" of a heat sink to the CPU I'd really appreciate it.

I am afraid that I just may brake my MoBo in half trying to attach this "Car Muffler" of a heat sink to it.

I just hope that I can close up my $#@ &%$ CP tower once it's attached.

God, who comes up with these ideas?

Please,

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 21 March 2008 - 09:38 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

The thermal grease you need is a compound that does on your processor where it touches the heatsink. This greatly increases the speed of the heat leaving the processor and going through the heatsink (or something like that). Just think of it as a form of lubrication.

A favorite kind of many people is arctic silver 5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835100007 . I've seen it at places such as RadioShack and Best Buy, if you need to buy some (You don't necessarily need arctic silver 5 though, theres other good kinds, and if you're not overclocking, it probably doesn't matter anyway).

Anyway, to put it on, just put a small dot about the size of a grain of rice on the top of the processor. Evenly smooth it all over the processor so you can't, or can barely see the color of the processor. Putting too much on will reverse the cooling effects of it though.

I prefer using my finger, even though its probably one of the worst ways to do it. I like doing it this way though because then you can feel if its an even coat.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if there is old paste/grease on there, completely remove it from the processor and the heatsink! Using that one type of alcohol (forget which kind sorry) should take it right off.

Edited by Sterling14, 20 March 2008 - 04:21 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

It's best to mount you "big car muffler" to the board before you mount the board in the case. You have to put a fair amount of pressure on it to engage the clips, so it's best to do it on the table top. The brass stand-offs do not provide enough support
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

OK,

Well having PC Christmas in March seems to be the same as having it on Christmas day, one gets a little over enthusiastic when assembles "New" things and one finds themselves not completely reading through the advice one was asking for.

Translation:

I put a bit more than a grain of rice worth of grease between the chip and the heat sink. In fact I'm sure I probably put enough to interfere with the cooling properties of the grease.

I guess that means I better re-do it.

The heat sink is fastened good though even though there most likely is a bit to much grease.

"Enthusiasm may be a butchers best friend but when making computers a little reverence may go a long way", me.

I have to remember that one.

John

Edited by Johnz414, 20 March 2008 - 10:51 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

The thermal compound doesn't have any cooling properties to say. All it does is increase the thermal convection between the heat spreader on the CPU and the heat sink. It creates a more uniform connection between the two by filling in all of the macroscopic "pot holes". So it doesn't take very much of the compound to do the job.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users