Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Recognized By Bios But System Won't Boot!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

basically i have two PCs but one is new while the older one still had a bigger hard drive. so what i did was take the hard drive from the old pc and install it in the new one as a slave. i followed some online instructions and checked to see if bios recognized it and it did. so it boots up and i see the new drive and the older hard drive. after a couple of minutes though...i noticed that the computer was lagging and when i accessed the older hard drive, it had some clicking noises. then a blue error screen came up saying something about a "memory dump" so i restarted the comp. now it says that the roboot has failed even though it still recognizes the two hard drives. so i disconnected the old hard drive and the comp reboots correctly. what is wrong with the older hard drive and if possible, how can i still use it? thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

If you are absolutely sure both drives are jumpered and cabled properly then your power supply is too weak or the old drive is failing and drawing too much power

Often times when a drive sits too long it will do this, I had one that I could only start with a more powerful Power Supply, after a while of being run it fixed itself. Go figure
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 ACS Data Recovery

ACS Data Recovery

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

basically i have two PCs but one is new while the older one still had a bigger hard drive. so what i did was take the hard drive from the old pc and install it in the new one as a slave. i followed some online instructions and checked to see if bios recognized it and it did. so it boots up and i see the new drive and the older hard drive. after a couple of minutes though...i noticed that the computer was lagging and when i accessed the older hard drive, it had some clicking noises. then a blue error screen came up saying something about a "memory dump" so i restarted the comp. now it says that the roboot has failed even though it still recognizes the two hard drives. so i disconnected the old hard drive and the comp reboots correctly. what is wrong with the older hard drive and if possible, how can i still use it? thanks in advance.

Most likely the older drive has failed, or is on the verge of failing. At least that is usually what is occurring when a drive clicks. At the very least there is some major issues with the file system that is preventing your system from booting properly when the drive is connected. There's really not going to be much you can do with it unfortunately.
Greg
Doing THIS For A Living

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

Most likely the older drive has failed, or is on the verge of failing. At least that is usually what is occurring when a drive clicks. At the very least there is some major issues with the file system that is preventing your system from booting properly when the drive is connected. There's really not going to be much you can do with it unfortunately.

This is a community of volunteers dedicated to helping each other, not a vehicle to promote your business

Edited by TMacK, 28 March 2008 - 12:37 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users