Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Icons And Background Disappear

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 izzy40

izzy40

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hello, I have a windows xp pro os on my computer. From time to time and this happens just about everyday, my monitor goes blank. the light stays green on the monitor and the monitor itself is lit up but blank. I have to reboot and after the reboot it will work fine for a while, then again go blank. No error codes. I have swapped monitors but no help. Could it be my video card? I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 video card. I appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

Hi izzy40, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

To troubleshoot the video go to Device Manager and open the tree of the Display adapters, it there is a problem there will be either an exclamation mark on a yellow background or a red dot with a white X in it. If you click on this it should explain the error.

If you double click on the NVIDIA GeForce you can use the troubleshoot feature, or you can check the driver/s and look for updated driver from there as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

Along with dc3's suggestion, I would also check the video card's fan and heatsink for lint build-up and overheating
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 izzy40

izzy40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

DC3 and Garmamma, thank you very much for your reply on my problem. The video card was checked and there was no exclamation mark on a yellow background or a red dot with a white X in it. I also checked the fan and lint and it seem to be clean and working fine. Any other ideas??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users