Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Files All Read Fil000.chk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lloydlec

Lloydlec

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

I have returned from a trip, plugged in my external drive and all my files are gone or have changed to FILE000.CHK or FILE001.chk. All the files seem to be there but I cannot open them can anyone tell me how to deal with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

Go into the root directory of your hdd and, using Notepad, open any files like FILE000.CHK. If the information looks important, keep it, otherwise, if it's not delete it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

Problem I have is all the files are files I have saved for the last 10 years it includes, emails, photos, legal documents etc, I really need to try and save them rather than delete them. Any idea what has happened to chance the files from doc or photo files to .CHK files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

Take a look: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Unchk

http://www.ericphelps.com/uncheck/

I think I'd try to recover them, using any feasible means.

Louis

#5 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Well tried that and nothing - still got just CHK files. I really need to find a way to recover them some are large and still there others seem to be small files with little in them. PLEASE does anyone have any advise?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

Did you attempt what DC3 suggested?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users