Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serial Mouse not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:54 AM

I received an error message at windows 98 startup pre-login screen . the message states " PS/2 mouse could not be found . Please restart your computer and plug in PS/2 mouse . If you are using a serial mouse it is safe to plug it in now . I have the serial mouse plugged in and I have confirmed that Com1 (serial port 1) is working . This is on a P-I 200 (1997) 64mg . I would use this for a boat anchor but the father-in-law wants to save it . Does anyone remember serial mouses . It's been years since I worked on one of these things . Any help is welcomed .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:32 AM

Hi acklan

Does Device Manager show a PS/2 mouse? If so remove it. I don't really remember either but on that machine there may be a selection in the Bios for Serial or PS/2. Also I would check autoexec.bat and config.sys for something related to a PS/2 mouse driver program.

HTH

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the reply . There is nomention of a P/S2 in Device Manager or Autoexec.bat (MSCONFIG) . The mouse shows up as a serial mouse in the device manager . The profile states there is a problem , but does not state what the problem is . I have tried to remove and reinstall to no avail . The computer sees the serial mouse I would think or it would just not list a mouse at all ...right ? Hhhmmm this give me flash backs to DOS and Windows 3.1 . I am spoiled by plug and play . I'm going to play with it for a while longer then I think I may have to submit a HJT Post . Does take me back to the time when I knew how to compute without a mouse . Hope this is the last time . I have AVG , AdWare , & Spybot cranking on it just in case . Post at you later .

acklan

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:32 AM

I was able to connect to the problem PC from my PC via VNC. I can control the mouse curser remotely from my computer . It still won't reconize a mouse . I even barrowed a USB mouse to no avail .

acklan

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:04 AM

Hi acklan

Sounds like your having fun. :thumbsup:

I looked at the registry in my 98 machine and found a key that I think you should check. This machine uses a serial mouse so have a look at the following key as this is what mine shows.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VMD]
"MouseType"="Serial"

That is an exact copy including the quotation marks. You could paste that into Notepad and save it as a .reg file on the desktop, then right click and select merge. You should probably export that key first from the current registry if you decide to make that change so you can merge it back if it creates a problem.

Btw, did you check config.sys?

HTH

Edited by Leurgy, 20 March 2005 - 07:07 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

I have the same entery in my reg. I don't have an entry in CONFIG.SYS . Do you remeber the dos (bbbrrr) cmd for MOUSE . But I thought that was for AUTOEXEC.BAT ?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:44 PM

Check your system.ini file for the following that are in mine:

Under [boot]
mouse.drv=mouse.drv

Under [boot.description]
mouse.drv=Standard mouse

Under [386Enh]
mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd

I have a book that covers Dos 6.2 (all 1115 pages, man that course was brutal :thumbsup: ) while 98 uses 7.1 I think but its worth a try.

DeviceHigh=C:\Windows\System\mouse.drv.

I think thats the right command for loading it high, but it is in config.sys according to the book. If that causes memory problems then leave out the word High.

I did a search for mouse and I have C:\Windows\System\mouse.drv and C:\Windows\System\mouse.vxd.

In Device Manager it shows my serial mouse and the drivers in use are

C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD(vmouse.vxd)
C:\Windows\System\MSMOUSE.VXD
C:\Windows\System\MOUSE.DRV

I just had a thought that may help. Try removing the mouse from Device Manager and going to Add New Hardware and adding a mouse when you get to the part where you can select it from a list. Just add a standard serial mouse.This forces windows to build a driver information database which essentially forces it to refresh the drivers. Or you could update the driver from the driver tab of the mouse properties. This won't get you new drivers but might help in some way.

I hate to ask the obvious but you do know that the mouse works, don't you?

Edited by Leurgy, 20 March 2005 - 03:51 PM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

I have an old SAM DOS 6.22 I have been pouring over . I'm rebooting right now to see if the config.sys enter worls .Eveything else was the same .

acklan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users