Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Connection Upon Restart

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DavidAg02

DavidAg02

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

One of my parents PC's is having a problem that I haven't been able to figure out, and I'm hoping this board can help.

If you restart the computer for any reason, it will not connect to the internet upon restarting. The odd thing is that I can get it to work, if I unplug the ethernet cable while the computer is rebooting and then plug it back in after the restart is complete. If I simply leave it connected the entire time, then I get no connection.

The setup is 2 PC's, one running XP and one running 2000 using a D-Link router and Time Warner cable modem. The one having the issue is running 2000.

Thanks for your help everyone!!

David
Houston, TX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

Hello,

It could be a timeout period. In order for windows to connect to the internet it must first recieve packets from the router, it could be that when the system restarts it does not send or recieve any packets. when you plug in the cable, it will automatically send and recieve packets.

What firewall are you using? some firewalls refuse to let any traffic in or out of the system until the firewall is started.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users