Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 32 Virus Please Help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Harley2

Harley2

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

My computer was just worked on by a friend and now I am getting strange errors such as WORK OFFLINE when I am on the internet and
INTERNET REDIRECTION, INTERNET NOT WORKING, computer locks up and the printer will not work at times. I also used Avanst and Spybot and they removed numerous malware including Win 32.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hello Harley2,

In order to assist you we need some additional information.

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.?

What kind of work was your friend doing on the computer?

What kind of internet connection do you have: dial-up, DSL, Cable, etc.?

How does the printer connect to the computer: USB connection, etc.?

Does the printer fail to work on any kinds of documents or just certain kinds? If the latter, what kinds of documents?

Can you post the logs from Avast and Spybot?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

Your info is a bit vague. Do you still need assistance?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for your help!

Operating System is Windows XP
My friend was suppossed to be making sure there were no viruses on the computer and also bring it up to date.
I have Comcast Cable internet connection
The printer uses a USB connection
After I ran Avast and Spybot I have not had any more printer problems
How do I find the logs from Avast and Spybot and do you want me to send the new logs or the old ones from the last cleanup?

Once again thank you!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

you're welcome.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

boopme,

Can you please help me! When I sent the first e-mail, I was having small problems.

NOW I am having major problems. My computer is infected with a VIRUS.

1. It plays music whenever it wants to
2. Sex pictures may pop up without any browser being open
3. Windows pop ups continuously coming up, asking me questions

Below are some of the pop ups

Work Offline
Acrobat 7.0 Runtime error
Internet Redirection
Internet Not Working
Virtual Memory too low

PLEASE HELP BEFORE I CANNOT USE THE INTERNET TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU

THANKS SO MUCH

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

Start with this

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#8 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

boopme,

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

I love the above scripture! My thoughts exactly!

I did as you instructed and below are the results from Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, there were 104 infected files.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.09
Database version: 573

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 42361
Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 3
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 2
Files Infected: 97

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Program Files\antiviirus.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Unloaded process successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29453.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Unloaded process successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34968.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\zip (Trojan.Clicker) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\antiviirus (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{805754cc-69a9-4ff2-a2b8-3325bcb85ce5} (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{0c69eb6c-a074-40a7-82cc-6728ee3d014e} (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\antiviirus.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp129650406.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp129652671.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp129668484.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp172855875.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp172857765.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp216061328.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp216062812.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp28453.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp28750.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp28859.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29031.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29046.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29281.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29421.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29453.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29484.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29781.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp29843.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp30312.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp30734.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp30937.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp30984.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp31125.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp31406.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp31437.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp31562.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp31703.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp32328.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp32343.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp32453.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp32468.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp32500.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp32859.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp33421.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp33531.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34109.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34125.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34265.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34328.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34515.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34546.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34625.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34734.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34781.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34968.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp34984.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp35031.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp35046.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp35156.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp35296.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp35687.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp35750.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp36031.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp36187.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp36546.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp36750.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp36843.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp36859.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp37046.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp37203.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp37500.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp37609.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp37671.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp37718.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp37843.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp38265.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp38812.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp39328.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp39343.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp39859.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp40109.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp40390.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp41546.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp42453.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43239921.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43240062.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43240234.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43240390.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43240484.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43241062.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43241375.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43241859.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43242609.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43244609.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp43257453.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp45750.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp51546.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp86445093.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp86445203.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp86445718.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp86445765.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp86447625.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp86447968.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp86463000.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp97991625.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\tmp97996640.exe (Trojan.Alphabet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:36 AM

Yes that text works for me. I see it in action everyday.
So how's the PC now after this? Music and popups gone>?

#10 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

boopme,

Sorry it took so long to respond, I didn't see your e-mail response and was just checking and saw
your response.

Yes the popups and music are gone now. Is there anything else I should do to make sure they are
gone and also to protect myself in the future?

Thanks so much for all your help!

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hi Harley2,not aproblem good to hear from you and the PC is in great shape. Do these 2 proceedures to finish up.
You still have Avast as your Antivirus,right? Keep it updated. Keep windows updates up to date. Update and run the Spybot and Mbam every week. Have you checked to see if your hard drive neds defragmenting? What firewall do you use?

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

NEXT:
Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Take a moment to read these
How did I get infected?,
Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008
Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2

#12 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

boopme,

Thanks so much once again for all your help!

I do not have a firewall at the moment on my computer. Can you recommend a good one?
I use Comcast for my cable and internet connection and I used to use their McAffee firewall but
it prevented me from accessing the internet.

I am also finishing now all the tasks from the last message.

Thanks so much!

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

For now at least have the windows firewall enabled.
Go to Start> Control Panel...Click Security Center
in the resulting window ,next to firewalll click the on button.

Do you have the Avast Antivirus installed?

#14 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

Windows Firewall is on
Avast is on and updated

I also ran ATF Cleaner

I also ran Avast today and it did clean up some viruses
I also ran Mbam and it found 2 infected files
I also ran Spybot today

After I ran the programs and deleted the infected files I then set a new restore point

Are there any other things I need to do going forward.
I am going to read the How did I get infected and other articles you recommended

Once again thanks so much

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

Good job. Also read this BC tutorial...Understanding and Using Firewalls
Windows XP firewall is at best adequate. It only monitors inbound traffic. After reading the topic and you feel more comfortably educated I will recommend a different wall for you. Don't forget to ask me.

Then I want you to read this one. I know I'm brutal :thumbsup:
The Hosts File and what it can do for you

Edited by boopme, 07 April 2008 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users