Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jonni

jonni

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:26 AM

As i am having such a huge problem removing about blank from my PC have decided not to use IE to access the web and am now using Mozilla.

However I still get the occassional pop up message on my PC when I'm not on the internet and just wondered if disabling or removing Internet Explorer would cure this problem and if so how I go about getting rid of IE.

I am currently running IE6 with WIndows 98.

Any advice much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

I suggest you post a HiJackThis log on the appropriate forum in this Site,

www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

About blank often indicates a serious piece of malware has installed itself.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:40 AM

You can't disable or delete IE as it is too deeply embedded in your operating system. The best thing you can do if you don't like IE is to get all the latest IE updates and stop using it. You need IE at the very least for Windows updates.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 PrittStick

PrittStick

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:30 PM

I think once you have contro of your computer with the appropriate safety programs, IE should not be a problem. I would keep it if I were you, just as I did when I got Mozilla Firefox.

#5 jonni

jonni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:43 AM

Managed with a bit of trial and error to disable IE and stop it from being opened.

Subsequently I also seem to have stopped all the annoying pop ups and other bleep from happening. The only thing I get now is an error message on first starting windows that states that the file se.dll cannot be opened. As this was the main cause of my problems then I'm quite happy it can't be opened. I realise that something still isn't right if the OS is looking for this file but at least I can get my work done without my puter freezing and opening IE and other pop ups every 5 mins.

#6 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:35 AM

If you have se.dll you have a CoolWebSearch infection. Even if you have managed to contain it for the moment it will get worse again unless it is eradicated. Post a HiJackThis log in the appropriate forum, you will find a number of other logs there with the same problem
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#7 jonni

jonni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:57 AM

Thanks. I have posted a Hijack log to the forum and I await instruction on what to do to eridicate this problem once and for all.

I just needed to do something as an interim measure because I was finding that I couldn't actually do any work due to the number of pop ups and the fact that my pc kept opening IE on it's own when I was in the middle of doing something and then freezing my pc so I couldn't actually get back to what I had been doing.

It's quite obvious that the people responsible for writing this bleep are the same ones selling the software to get rid of it. If anyone has any ideas who these people are let me know and I'll be quite happy to make sure they aren't able to write any more of this stuff!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users