Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

System Specs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:26 AM

I was wondering if there is a way to put a system spec in a person's profile so we dont have to guess what they are using? I know in the begining you have to put what os and what you use but is there a way to see it without asking the person I tried viewing profiles but does not show me if they are using persay xp 98 etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:03 AM

Even in a user's profile that information is voluntary. So people have to be asked in one way or another.

I've been meaning to bring the subject up with Grinler myself. It does make it a lot easier when dealing with hardware and various software issues to know as much as possible about the user's system. What I've noticed in other forums, especially those with a strong hardware support forum, is that user's will include their specs in their signatures so they don't have to be asked. Many times this is encouraged or even required by a pinned topic (like "How to use This Forum), or a information box similar to our "PLEASE READ:..." in our HJT Logs forum or even in the forum rules themselves. Sometimes it's just a pinned topic that says, "If you want timely help please include your system specs--don't make us ask."

I would be in favor of something like an information box in the Hardware and other troubleshooting forums (with the exception of HJT--those logs include some rudimentary specs) strongly suggesting users include their specs. I don't think we should be too hardcore about it. Especially since some newbies don't know what system specs are.

Thanks for bringing it up. :thumbsup: I'm interested in knowing what others think.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:19 AM

Have to agree with you there, Papakid. Some basic system specs can be of great help in many cases. If not too detailed, most users should be able to complete a profile, which should include 1)OS and version, 2) CPU speed, 3) RAM at a minimum, I would think. Others might have additional specs that should be included, but the fewer the better.
Again, some sort of pinned note in the appropriate forums, would also help.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:24 PM

I would rather not make it a mandatory function of people having to put their specs in, and it would require a bit of coding which i really dont have the time to do right now. On another note, for privacy reasons I do not want people to be forced to give that info.

Most of the hardware forums dont do that from the message board itself, but rather the users add that to the signature. If someone would like to make a post explaining how to do this I will have no problem pinning it in the requested forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users