Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shrinking Cds

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 huMAC

huMAC

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

I have alot of these music files that are longer then the maximum length of CD. For example, I have a CD that hold 80 mins but the file is over 80 mins. Is there a program that allow me to shrink the file in order to make it fit the CD?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

Burn to a cd using mp3 format.
You can get a lot of music on a disc that way-I have almost 200 songs on one cd when burned as mp3.

The only catch is that your player has to be able to playback mp3.

#3 trodas

trodas

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Before you cuting part of your music (you can try the free Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ ) you might consider enabling overburn option in your burning SW (eg. Nero :D ) and overburn your CDs a little.
Usualy a 82min is fine, on qualiy CDs, using quality burners (eg. NECs, NOT LG...) :thumbsup:

Posted Image

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config

#4 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

What does audacity do? Also what is overburning?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

What format is the music (mp3, wav, etc.)?
Is it recorded as individual songs, or full albums?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:33 AM

Its an mp3 format and its not really a song or an album. Its like an audio of this person talking about stuff.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

see the wiki for audacity

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?tit...separate_tracks

you would need to seperate the longer mp3's into smaller chunks and then burn to more than 1 audio cd

a simpler program and also free is this one

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3splitter/

Edited by DaChew, 20 March 2008 - 10:42 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

Before breaking down the file, try the simple method first. (If you haven't already tried this)

Open the program you use to burn, then tell it what file you want to record.
Next you'll need to root around the options to find out what format it's set to record. If it's anything other than mp3, change it to mp3.

The program will let you know if the file is still to large for the disc.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 March 2008 - 11:39 AM.

#9 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

Is there a program that do the same method like mp3splitter but for WMA?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

Its an mp3 format

Do you actually require the disc to be recorded as a music CD? ie one that will play in any CD player, even if it's not mp3 capable?

If not, there won't be any need to cut an .mp3 format file to fit on a CD, even if it's substantially over 80 min duration.

The 80 min capacity for a CD is only if the sound file you're putting onto CD is already the same format (.wav) or if the .mp3 file is being converted in order to burn a music CD (one that will play in any CD player).

The conversion will happen if when you use your burning software, you start out to burn an audio disc not a data disc. If you choose to burn a music/audio disk, then select an .mp3 file or files, the burning software converts the .mp3 to .wav format, so a 90 min file won't fit on a CD. If you start out choosing to burn a data disc, .mp3 files will go onto the CD still being .mp3 format, and you could fit many times 80 minutes on one CD. Many modern CD players and most DVD players will play the .mp3 file(s) happily.

If you're already aware of all this, please disregard the post.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

Any of you guys know a good free WMA splitter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users