Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Screen Shrinkage?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yunalesca

Yunalesca

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Heya,

Hope this is in the right section....

My cousin has a laptop that is Inspiron 8200 Dell - Windows Vista with SP2

... now the thing is for some reason their monitor viewing screen is shrinked (the text and icons)... when you try to change the resolution, it just gets smaller and around it is all black (black surrounding the "viewing" area) and if we do enlarge it as big as possible, the text and icons are still just as small.... another example.... if you look up at this screen where the "Home, Forums, Tutorials" icons are at they are shrinked even when I enlarge text or change resolution

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4072/18570440xc0.jpg

For example... my cousin plays Runescape and the playing screen size is 1/2 that of what it normally should be at - another example the text on the tabs of firefox is really really small

Under Display Setting the display is: (Multiple Monitors) on NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Microsoft Corporation)

Any ideas what's wrong?

It is really hard to read things and after a while my eyes hurt

Edited by Yunalesca, 19 March 2008 - 05:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

Take a look in Device Manager Expand the +'s and look for yellow exclamation points. If it were me, the first thing I would try is updating the video driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Windows Vista with SP2?

Ill assume thats XP.

You want to go to Control Panel -> Display
Click the Appearance tab
Click Advanced
In the "Item" dropdown box, select icon
Size should be 32 by default

Try changing that size. Does that fix it?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

Look through the options in the BIOS setup menus, it sounds like the screen may have the option to interpolate disabled. That would mean the screen itself will maintain a pixel-for-pixel relationship, so instead of a lower resolution expanding to fill the screen, it only occupies the smaller number of pixels in the centre with the inactive pixels forming a black edge.

If there is this option in the BIOS, I can't say for sure what it will be called, but it may include "interpolation" in its name.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

Look through the options in the BIOS setup menus, it sounds like the screen may have the option to interpolate disabled. That would mean the screen itself will maintain a pixel-for-pixel relationship, so instead of a lower resolution expanding to fill the screen, it only occupies the smaller number of pixels in the centre with the inactive pixels forming a black edge.

If there is this option in the BIOS, I can't say for sure what it will be called, but it may include "interpolation" in its name.

There may also be a scaling setting in the Display control panel applet to change this setting, inside of the nVidia software.

Here's what that setting looks like on my machine, though yours will differ slightly, because I'm on Vista.
Posted Image

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users