Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Hassals

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rixmix

Rixmix

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

I am trying to download Quick Time Player after deleting it unintentionally . When I try to download Quicktime I get a message come up that says Security Alert your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded . I have Norton protection centre and internet security and have tried to turn these off while I download but I am not having any success . Any help much appreciated .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 She Haunts Me

She Haunts Me

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:10 AM

Ditch Norton for better, more reliable, not bloated protection. That's my opinion.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

did you actually delete it or is it parked in your Recycle Bin from whence you should be able to retrieve it? :thumbsup:

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:09 AM

I am trying to download Quick Time Player after deleting it unintentionally . When I try to download Quicktime I get a message come up that says Security Alert your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded . I have Norton protection centre and internet security and have tried to turn these off while I download but I am not having any success . Any help much appreciated .

In my opinion, not a good idea to turn your security software off, especially for a download - really ever (especially while on the web) - as you are defeating its purpose of protection at all times.

Have you tried a system restore?

Also would be helpful to know what version are you using of Norton Protection centre?
What version of Norton internet security?

Edited by tork, 26 March 2008 - 08:13 AM.

#5 Rixmix

Rixmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:15 AM

Ditch Norton for better, more reliable, not bloated protection. That's my opinion.

Thanks for that , I`ve been told that by another person already to get rid of Norton and I think I will start lookin for an alternative. I ended up getting a friend to sort it out which he did by reloading Quicktime Player via a thumb drive . All back to nomal now . Any suggestion for a mabe even a little bit cheaper but still reliable set up .

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for that , I`ve been told that by another person already to get rid of Norton and I think I will start lookin for an alternative. I ended up getting a friend to sort it out which he did by reloading Quicktime Player via a thumb drive . All back to nomal now . Any suggestion for a mabe even a little bit cheaper but still reliable set up .

which windows version are you running?

also if you DO go for quitting Norton you will need to use the Removal tool at the appropriate time

#7 Rixmix

Rixmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

did you actually delete it or is it parked in your Recycle Bin from whence you should be able to retrieve it? :thumbsup:

No I well and truly deleted it but it`s all sorted out now , a friend reloaded it via a thumb drive . So I`m happily able to fully function again .

#8 Rixmix

Rixmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

In my opinion, not a good idea to turn your security software off, especially for a download - really ever (especially while on the web) - as you are defeating its purpose of protection at all times.

Have you tried a system restore?

Also would be helpful to know what version are you using of Norton Protection centre?
What version of Norton internet security?

I got a friend to sort it out for me in the end . I am running Windows XP I think . there are so many different versions and options for computers to sellect from in the end I just turn it off . Thanks for your advice and taking the time to reply.

#9 Rixmix

Rixmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:35 AM

which windows version are you running?

also if you DO go for quitting Norton you will need to use the Removal tool at the appropriate time

Windows XP I`m pretty sure .

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:33 AM

I got a friend to sort it out for me in the end . I am running Windows XP I think . there are so many different versions and options for computers to sellect from in the end I just turn it off . Thanks for your advice and taking the time to reply.

Glad to hear your friend got it sorted for you. I want to echo ruby1's advise on using the Norton Removal tool if you decide to dump Norton. Norton products leave lots of stuff behind which conflict with any new installs of other security products: firewalls, antivirus, antispyware. So using the Norton removal tool is an important step not to be dismissed.

On which Windows version you have - just right click MyComputer, then click Properties and a screen comes up with your system information which you will always need to know to get help in these kinds of forums

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

another wee hint if you ARE on XP; when , if ever, have you checked for your Windows updates?
and do you know what SP2 is and do you have it installed?

#12 Rixmix

Rixmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

another wee hint if you ARE on XP; when , if ever, have you checked for your Windows updates?
and do you know what SP2 is and do you have it installed?

Hello Ruby , yeah I have done a couple of updates and no I am not familiar with SP2 . Look to be perfectly honest what happened was I had gone to a fairly remote location , a dam , to read , drink a beer or two and cook up a couple of burgers on the gas stove in the back of my Landcruiser 4x4 . Well I read some and I drank some and it was hot so I though I would take a swim . No one around for miles so I thought "I`ll go skinny dipping". Being a bit of an old hippy this idea appealed to me and when I happened to spot my digital camera sitting on the seat of the car I thought " I`ll make a little video " just of the back of me walking down to the water and getting in so that I could show it to my wife and prove that I had actually done it. You know how it goes " So what did you get up to today dear ?" " Oh nothing much I just went skinny dipping out the Dam. " " I don`t believe it , you`re pulling my leg " Any way it was great I haven`t felt so free for years and will be definately doing it again . When I got home I down loaded the footage onto my computer and I have to tell you it was not a pretty sight as I am a bit overweight and getting on in age . I decided to delete it and fast and modify my eating habits while I`m at it . The only trouble was I was not fully watching what I was doing and got rid of it alright including the actual Quicktime programe . Man I was in shock Not a pretty sight . Nothing deviant or perverted , all perfectly natural and beautiful . No not beautiful Shocking ! what ever happened to youth ? Half the people my age can`t even turn a computer on but I get a lot of pleasure out of sending and recieving e-mails . I use it for my music and my photography and I have a bit of a dabble with e-bay . Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to try and help me , I hope you got a laugh out of my expeirience as this is intended to take a look at myself and have a chuckle .

Edited by Rixmix, 26 March 2008 - 07:36 PM.

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

you may wish to know that, if you are running a computer with XP on it, you do really need to have the security patch OF SP2 on it

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

one assumes you do not have even service pack 1 on it ??

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/downloads...p1/default.mspx

if you have NEITHER 'patch' on the computer your Windows version is vulnerable and very much at risk and 'open' to being infected,

before you take ON ANY of the Security Patches you need to ensure you are, as far as you call tell, infection free
so; I suggest you fully update your antivirus and other protection programs and run each on a full deep scan
IF they report you as seemingly 'clean' you should be safe to go TO your windows update centre ,and see what security updates ARE available for you

if you do NOT keep up to date with ALL your updates your computer's security and safety on-line will be compromised and you are at greater risk of getting an infection

it is of course up to you, but you should NOT really be surfing and downloading material until the computer has had ALL its Windows updates downloaded and installed on the computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users