Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Upgrade Wireless Laptop Card?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mickeyw3340

mickeyw3340

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:05 AM

I have a laptop that has a LinkSys Wireless "B" PCMIA card in it. The wife uses it heavily to work from home using GoToMyPc to log into her PC at work. I am replacing a 4 year old Wireless "B" Access Point with a new LinkSys Wirless "G" Broadband Router this weekend. Will the laptop gain enough speed advantage using a "G" card instead of a "B" card to make it worth shelling out $35.00 for a new "G card? The money isn't an issue, but don't want to waste it if we are going to gain very little speed by upgrading it.
Mickey

Edited by mickeyw3340, 18 March 2005 - 09:05 AM.

......Mickey ....
LinkSys Wireless Home Network.
LinkSys Broadband Router
2 Desktop PCs ...One Laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:50 PM

If you use the laptop for internet browsing there will probably be no difference in speed. If you also do file sharing on the internal network itself, there will be an advantage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users